The packing problem: What is the methodology for finding how many small spheres (radius r) can fit in a large sphere (radius R)?

jack123

Hey, to be honest, this is my first time asking for help on such forums, my task sounds like this: What is the methodology for finding how many small spheres (radius r) can fit in a large sphere (radius R), I have been thinking about this for a long time, but I just can’t come to a satisfactory result, all I have now is that if R = 3r, then a maximum of 12 balls can fit in such a sphere (looking ahead - no, the option is to divide the volume of a large sphere by the volume of a small one and round up by the smaller side does not correct). I will be glad to receive any suggestions and even links to literature that can provide some sort of clue. Thank you.

Hey, to be honest, this is my first time asking for help on such forums, my task sounds like this: What is the methodology for finding how many small spheres (radius r) can fit in a large sphere (radius R), I have been thinking about this for a long time, but I just can’t come to a satisfactory result, all I have now is that if R = 3r, then a maximum of 12 balls can fit in such a sphere (looking ahead - no, the option is to divide the volume of a large sphere by the volume of a small one and round up by the smaller side does not correct). I will be glad to receive any suggestions and even links to literature that can provide some sort of clue. Thank you.
Have you searched?

The very nature of this page will tell you that there is probably no straightforward "methodology"; it's an inherently difficult problem.

Beyond that, you might try the bibliography here: