The third harmonic of a wave motion is given by:4.3cos3θ-6.9sin3θ. express this in the form R sin(3θ±α) .

lbar

Hi all, can you please help me with this: The third harmonic of a wave motion is given by:4.3cos3θ-6.9sin3θ. express this in the form R sin(3θ±α) .

Hi all, can you please help me with this: The third harmonic of a wave motion is given by:4.3cos3θ-6.9sin3θ. express this in the form R sin(3θ±α) .

What are your thoughts? What have you tried? How far have you gotten? ("Read Before Posting"). You applied the definition of "the third harmonic" with respect to the given fundamental frequency, and... then what?

Please be complete. Thank you!

As I read this, the fact that this is a third harmonic is not relevant (except as the reason for the [imath]3\theta[/imath]).

What identity allows you to rewrite an expression in the form [imath]A\cos(x)-B\sin(x)[/imath] in the alternative form [imath]R\sin(x\pm\alpha)[/imath]?