The width of a rectangle is 25% of the length of the rectang

willjam179

The width of a rectangle is 25% of the length of the rectangle. Can someone help me write an expression for the perimeter of the rectangle: 2(?) + 2(?) and help simplify the expression for the perimeter of the rectangle?

Thank you
Brenda

Re: perimeter problems

Alright, so you don't have any given values for the length and width of the triangle, so let's assign them variables: length will be L, and width will be W.
You know the relationship between length and width. The width is 25% of the length, so say the length was 100, then the width would be 25, correct? But since you are using variables for the actual values, the length would be L and the width would be 25% of L or 1/4 of L so you could say the width is equal to:

(25%)*L <<<<<<<< the word "percent" actually means "per one hundred" or " /100" so: (25%)*L equals

(25/100)*L

or

(1/4)*L

or just

L/4

so now you know that the length is L and the width is L/4.

L = L
W = L/4

Using these you can make an equation for the perimeter of the rectangle. Perimeter is the sum of the sides of the rectangle, so:

L + L + (W) + (W)

But instead of W, substitute in what you found W to be in terms of L
Hope that helps!

Re: perimeter problems

sgtpepper, Thank you for your answer in such short response time, this will be such a great help to me. I am having such a hard time in this class. So thank you again.

Brenda

Brenda, if you're having problems with percentages, simply divide the given percentage by 100,
and from that get a fraction:
25% ? 25/100 = 1/4 : so width is 1/4 of length

20% ? 20/100 = 1/5

35% ? 35/100 = 7/20