This looks right to me but teacher marked him wrong? (number properties)

Some teachers have no concept on how to grade or are afraid to give out an A because of their own insecuritiues.

In college I started taking a chemistry course. On my 1st exam I had a 100% (sort of) but my instructor (a full time high school teacher) gave me a grade of 50%.

I asked why 50% and he said because you did not multiply out your final results. I said I know that but I forgot my calculator. Instead of letting me finish the test right then and there he said the 50% holds.

I immediately went to the chair of the chemistry department. He looked at the test and asked why it was not a 100%. When I told him why he asked what major I was. After I replied that I was a math major he asked if I knew how to use a calculator. After I said yes, he said the grade IS a 100% and he will certainly have a talk with my professor. The next time I went to class my teacher gave me the dirtiest look I have even seen. I dropped that class.

Personally I would be thrilled if a student of mine got a 100%. It would make my day. I am willing to learn math (or anything) from anybody. For example, I am a helper on this forum and I do post problems which I need help with. I do not feel less of a helper because I ask for help. Actually I guess I feel that I am a better helper after learning something knew.

This chemistry adjunct was the complete opposite. He was obviously intimidated by me for knowing the material so well. What a terrible attitude for a teacher. The sad part of this is that I never had another chance to take chemistry again. Who knows, maybe I would have loved chemistry more than math, but know I will never know.

This actually happen to me in the late 80's and I still remember every detail of what happened. It taught me what type of teacher not to be!