Tips to help figure out...(Inches in a Yard...etc..)

G

Hi...my teacher supposedly taught us how to figure out how many yards in a foot, etc....but no one in the class remembers...I have to complete a worksheet with problems that say..
Find the area of each rectangle given the base and height.
Base: 25 yd
Height: 30 ft...I know 12 in in a foot..1/3 yds in a foot..but isnt there a trick like...
12 in over 1 ft, then next to it 3 ft over...or am I mixed up...I believe it is used in chemistry and math...

How does finding square yardage, given linear yardage, relate to finding linear inches, given linear yardage?

Your question asks you to plug "base" and "height" into the triangle-area formula you've memorized. Why are you trying to convert the measurements to inches?

There is no particular "formula" for converting between the various old-style English units. (I'm guessing your native country used metrics.) You just memorize the equivalences. In this case, there are three feet in one yard and twelve inches in one foot. So, say, eight yards would be... how many feet? (Multiply.) And, say, five feet would be... how many inches? (Multiply.)

But for the posted exercise, unless some of the instructions have been omitted, just use the formula you've memorized.

Eliz.

well..i am from the U.S. so...we use the metric system..I thought there was like some tricks to help...So Ill just use the formula that I ve memorized then...

are you trying say you want to convert units like this....

example)yards to feet....

3ft/1yrd * 6yards/1
the yards cancle out leaving you with 3ft * 6 = 18feet

BTismypony said:
i am from the U.S. so...we use the metric system.
Actually, no; the US is one of two countries (if I recall correctly) that hasn't yet switched over.

The other one is some island nation I can never remember.... :shock: :wink:

Eliz.

Yes..mammothrob...that is exactly what I was trying to remember!!! How do you do that again? I think I know..lol..never mind..

Stapel...Sorry, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. I meant that in class, we refer to the metric system. The US, and I think that Liberia (in western Africa) and Myanmar (also known as Burma, in Southeast Asia) havent switched over yet. That was dumb..OOPS!!

I wonder what I was thinking of...? :oops:

I'm quite familiar with Liberia (so named because freed blacks from America colonized the place before the American Civil War) and Myanmar (in South-East Asia, called "Burma" before the current military dictatorship took over), and I should have remembered them.

Thank you for the correction. :D

Eliz.

Well, unfortunately, the switch has been made up here;
but ah dunt kare:
a footlong ruler will always = 12 inches;
a yardstick will always = 3 feet :roll: