tkhunny and Jolly Mathworlds---From Guido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido

I told Ted (the owner of the site) that I would be watching his site for troublemakers. I found that tkhunny and jolly are attacking student Janet. This is what I spoke to Ted about sometime ago. This nonsense needs to stop!!! We are here to help students NOT put them down.
I don't think Janet was being rude at all. She was attacked first by your sloppy e-mails.

From what I understand, students can post as many questions as they desire. I am getting tired of reading all this trash on this site.
If this keeps up, I will discontinue my service as math tutor here. I dislike being part of an online tutoring site where students are attacked for posting questions. Is this NOT the reason why Ted created the site????

This is my method: IF I DO NOT WANT TO CONTINUE ANSWERING QUESTIONS FROM A CERTAIN STUDENT, I SIMPLY IGNORE HIS/HER QUESTIONS. Is this really hard to understand?

I love math. I love helping students but I am not obligated to do so. The same applies to EVERY tutor on this site. I like Gene and Soroban. They are the true professionals. They respond professionally to every student. This is the way every tutor should be like on this site.

These two (tkhunny and jolly) are brutally attacking Janet.
I will keep a close eye on them. I do not like when students are attacked by people who think they know it all. Who really knows everything except God? Are we God? Do we dare say that we are like God?

Do we really know what Janet's problems with math are? Are we in her mind? Do we have a PH.D. in terms of Janet or any other student? I want this problem resolved or else I cannot belong to a site where students are constantly disrespected.

Guido
NYC Math Teacher

Fine, but I won't be offering my services on this site ever again.

Thanks Guido

Thank you Guido for understanding and for your kind post in my defense.
I am just seeking help with certain questions that seem a little off to me.
My objective is not to start trouble here. I am glad that someone can see that things are not what they seem. I am NOT here to start trouble. I am ONLY seeking math help.

Janet

JFTR - There is neither arrogance nor "attack" in my presentation. I do not know how you can construe that, except that the student becomes angry at the mere suggestion of a challenge. My concern is for the benefit of the student, and nothing else. On occasion, when it seems appropriate, I will challenge a student concerning motivation or presentation in an effort to achieve greater benefit for the student. I presume all who care about students of mathematics (or any other subject) would do the same, when it seems appropriate.

I do not resort to name calling, unlike others.
I do not resort to profanity, unlike others.
I do not resort to public defamation, unlike others.
I do not resort to ridicule, unlike others.
I do not resort to threats, unlike others.

I do resort to challenge, for the student's benefit.
I do ask for clarification of motivation, for the student's benefit.
I do wonder what actually will benefit the student, sometimes contrary to the student's opinion.
I do wonder what professional educator would not hold to these same goals and ideologies.

I do get a little casual with my language once I gain some familiarity with a particular student. I can work on improving that.
I do develop expectations of student performance once I gain some familiarity with a particular student. This, sometimes, leads me to present challenges with perhaps excessive aggression. I can work on improving that.

Thanks for the opportunity to review my personal motivations.

Guido said:
I told Ted (the owner of the site) that I would be watching his site for troublemakers. I found that tkhunny and jolly are attacking student Janet. This is what I spoke to Ted about sometime ago. This nonsense needs to stop!!! We are here to help students NOT put them down.
I don't think Janet was being rude at all. She was attacked first by your sloppy e-mails.

From what I understand, students can post as many questions as they desire. I am getting tired of reading all this trash on this site.
If this keeps up, I will discontinue my service as math tutor here. I dislike being part of an online tutoring site where students are attacked for posting questions. Is this NOT the reason why Ted created the site????

This is my method: IF I DO NOT WANT TO CONTINUE ANSWERING QUESTIONS FROM A CERTAIN STUDENT, I SIMPLY IGNORE HIS/HER QUESTIONS. Is this really hard to understand?

I love math. I love helping students but I am not obligated to do so. The same applies to EVERY tutor on this site. I like Gene and Soroban. They are the true professionals. They respond professionally to every student. This is the way every tutor should be like on this site.

These two (tkhunny and jolly) are brutally attacking Janet.
I will keep a close eye on them. I do not like when students are attacked by people who think they know it all. Who really knows everything except God? Are we God? Do we dare say that we are like God?

Do we really know what Janet's problems with math are? Are we in her mind? Do we have a PH.D. in terms of Janet or any other student? I want this problem resolved or else I cannot belong to a site where students are constantly disrespected.

Guido
NYC Math Teacher

::claps:: I agree!

Hey Black Cat: QUIT these silly short posts, hear?
Try acting your age a bit...start by NEVER USING "lol" again.

ok. im just reall bored cuz im grounded all summer.sorry.and im only 14, so i would say i am acting my age.

~Midnight.Kitten~ said:
ok. im just reall bored cuz im grounded all summer.sorry.and im only 14, so i would say i am acting my age.
Hmmm...good answer MK; sure shows some maturity, since you didn't
scream and yell at me :)
However, "acting like 14" is not defined anywhere, so....
May I suggest you try and improve on your English; force yourself to
capitalize and use your dictionary now and then; your post should be,
if in proper English:
Ok. I'm just really bored because I'm grounded all summer. Sorry.
And I'm only 14, so I would say I'm acting my age.

Note: "I am" and "I'm" mean exactly same thing and both are proper;
but if you use one style, use that style constantly: that's why I changed
your "i am" to "I'm".

"'Grammar', not grammer", not "'grammar' not grammer"!

Hmm; I don't know about that. An English teacher might say that's right, but an English teacher would also tell you to put the commas inside the quotes, mebelieves. Since anna should not have capitalized "grammar", I, being a programmer, would go with "'grammar', not 'grammer'!".

Guido: "These two (tkhunny and jolly) are brutally attacking Janet.
I will keep a close eye on them. I do not like when students are attacked by people who think they know it all. Who really knows everything except God? Are we God? Do we dare say that we are like God?"

That's got to be the silliest post I've seen;
1: "brutally" ?!
2: a non-moderator "keeping a close eye" ?
3: who is this "god" guy who knows everything; can you prove that?
Finally, I saw no confirmation nowhere by Ted that you're the official snoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.