Tough: Find asymptes, intercepts for 196216+23.2x/x+0.113

Tyler Durdan

So I get to the end of my math worksheet, and come across this monster. I am totally lost on this. I don't even remember it from class.

"According to the data the relationship between the minimum voltage f(x) (in milivolts) needed to excite a nerve fiber and the time X (in milliseconds) during wich the current flows can be approximated by the function f(x)= 19.6216+23.2x/x+0.113

A) identify any vertical and horizontal asymptotes (equations) (4 decimal digits)
B) Identify any vertical and horizontal intercepts (4 decimal digits)

Re: Tough Algebra World Problem

Tyler Durdan said:
So I get to the end of my math worksheet, and come across this monster. I am totally lost on this. I don't even remember it from class.

"According to the data the relationship between the minimum voltage f(x) (in milivolts) needed to excite a nerve fiber and the time X (in milliseconds) during wich the current flows can be approximated by the function f(x)= 19.6216+23.2x/x+0.113

A) identify any vertical and horizontal asymptotes (equations) (4 decimal digits)
For the vertical asymptote, what x value makes the denominator 0?. That's your VA.

For the horizontal asymptote, if the leading coefficients have the same power, then the ratio of leading coefficients is the asymptote.

Your's are the same. What's the ratio?.

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{23.2x+19.6216}{x+0.113}\)

Tyler Durdan said:
B) Identify any vertical and horizontal intercepts (4 decimal digits)
For x-intercepts, set y=o and solve for x.

For y-intercepts, set x=0 and solve for y.