trigonofinity...

sabdani

hello guyz...
im the newest...
reading all your forums here was very great...
lots of here are math wizards ahh...
hope i can be one of you...
anyway...
this is my trivia for you...
i know its very easy for you...
just want to share something...

what would be the answer?...

1 + ((tan 1 degree+tan 2 degrees+...tan 89degress)/(tan 91 degrees)+(tan 92 degrees+...tan 179 degrees))

please observe the parenthesis used...

Do you want the exact anwser? If so you need to convert to radians, its much easier to work with although this seems more like a calculator problem to me, if you are working with exact anwser you are almost certainally going to get a crazy fraction. Also, the way that the parenthesis are used is very unclear. you need to use double (()) around the whole numerator and the whole denomanitor.

I took it as:\(\displaystyle 1 + \frac{{\tan (1) + \tan (2) + \tan (89)}}{{\tan (91) + \tan (92) + \tan (179)}}\) , plugged it into my ti-89 and got a crazy trig fraction thats not even worth copying down.

jsbeckton said:
Do you want the exact anwser? If so you need to convert to radians, its much easier to work with although this seems more like a calculator problem to me, if you are working with exact anwser you are almost certainally going to get a crazy fraction. Also, the way that the parenthesis are used is very unclear. you need to use double (()) around the whole numerator and the whole denomanitor.

I took it as:\(\displaystyle 1 + \frac{{\tan (1) + \tan (2) + \tan (89)}}{{\tan (91) + \tan (92) + \tan (179)}}\) , plugged it into my ti-89 and got a crazy trig fraction thats not even worth copying down.

The decimal anwser is .99876

Hello, all!

Didn't anyone notice the "three dots"??

\(\displaystyle 1\;+\;\frac{\tan1^o\,+\,\tan2^o\,+\,\tan3^o\,+\,\cdots\,+\,\tan89^o}{\tan91^o\,+\,\tan92^o\,+\,\tan93^o\,+\,\cdots\,+\,\tan179^o}\)

Since \(\displaystyle \tan(180^o\,-\,\theta)\:=\;-\tan\theta\), then:

. . \(\displaystyle \tan91^o\,=\,-\tan89^o\)
. . \(\displaystyle \tan92^o\,=\,-\tan88^o\)
. . \(\displaystyle \tan93^o\,=\,-\tan87^o\)
. . . . \(\displaystyle \vdots\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\vdots\)
. . \(\displaystyle \tan179^o\,=\,-\tan1^o\)

The denominator is the <u>negative</u> of the numerator!

Therefore, we have: \(\displaystyle \;1\,+\,(-1) \;=\;0\)

soroban said:
Didn't anyone notice the "three dots"??
It's the little things in life that trip us up.... :wink: :D

Eliz.

This is very true...although I should probably shut up because I don't remember how the heck to do any of this, lol.

logafinity...

you are all great!!
the correct answer is zero...

try this another one...
please...
no calculators...
just use your math knowledge...

the logarithm of x raised to x raised to x raised to x...(infinity) to the base 10 is five.

what is the value of x?

Re: logafinity...

sabdani said:
try this another one...
Please post new exercises as new threads, not as replies to old questions.

When you re-post this, please include all of the steps and reasoning you have attempted thus far, stating clearly where you are stuck.

Thank you.

Eliz.