Trouble with Finding dy/dx

spyder1125

This has probably more to do with the algebra aspect of these equations, however it does pertain to calculus problems. Any help is appreciated.

1) y = x^2-1 / 3x

2) y=6x^4-(3/x)+(2/x^2)

3) y=2/square root of 6x^2+4

4) y=(x/x+1)^5

5) y=(3/x^2)

6) y=π^4 [Read as Pi to the 4th power]

7) y= (3x+2)(7-x^2)

8) y= square root of 6x+7

9) y= 5/square root of x

10) y= 2/square root of 3x

11) y=3x^4

12) y=x^pi [Read as x to the power of Pi]

Thank you again for your assistance, and let me know if you need clarification of any of these problems. I would like your answers to compare to mine.

If you're not able to get started with any of these, then you might want to consider enrolling in a calculus course. The various rules and methods should be covered in a month or less of classroom instruction, and/or a chapter or two of the textbook. (Naturally, this is much too much to attempt in a simple forum posting.)

My best wishes to you in your studies.

Eliz.

I am enrolled in a Calculus course, and since it is en expedited 8 week evening class, I have no understanding of how to proceed with these problems. The book is far to advanced for my understanding, and i have no clear idea on how to go about these problems. Perhaps there is a resource that can explain it better on how to proceed on solving these problems. I'm sure if I can do a few, I will be able to do the rest.

Hello Spyder. I quickly looked at your list and the problem is if you can't do the first 2 problems, then you don't have a fundamental understanding of differentiation. Everyone here can solve all of those problems easily, but they can't teach it to you. It's like if you don't know what 2 x 2 is? I could tell you the answer is 4, but that doesn't mean you will know how to multiply.

Anyway here is the answer to the first problem:

y = x^2 - 1 / (3x) .... dy/dx = 2x + 1 / (3x^2)

You need to learn the basic rule of differentiation first. Then you will next learn some tricks with differentiation like the Product Rule, Quotient Rule, and Chain Rule. You need those other rules to do the latter problems on your list.

spyder1125 said:
Perhaps there is a resource that can explain it better on how to proceed on solving these problems.
"Resources" that could help? Certainly: A slower class, or a "simpler" book (yes, some are easier to follow than others), or both.

At this point, though, your best bet would probably be to hire a local tutor. By working a few hours a week (daily would be best) in face-to-face sessions, a qualified tutor might have some chance at helping you learn the material and get caught up to the class.

Naturally, this is well beyond anything that an online service such as this could offer.

My best wishes to you.

Eliz.