True or False on One-to-One Function

gracemccaghey03

True or False. If false, change the statement to make it true (do not use cannot equal or the word "not").

Statement: g(x)=(x+1)^2 is a one-to-one function because it passes the vertical line test.

So we can help you, here are some questions so we know what you know:
1. What defines a "function"?
2. What is meant by "one-to-one"?
3. What is the "vertical line" test and what does it determine?

True or False. If false, change the statement to make it true (do not use cannot equal or the word "not"). Statement: g(x)=(x+1)^2 is a one-to-one function because it passes the vertical line test.
The vertical line test is for testing a graph for being that of a function: in a function no two pairs may have the same first term.
The horizontal line test is for testing a graph for being that of a one-to-one function: in a one-to-one function no two pairs may have the same second term.

i thought horizontal line test is to check if it is many-to-one function?

Consider the function \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^5+3\) See here. Any horizontal line, \(\displaystyle y=h\), intersects the graph of \(\displaystyle f\) at one point \(\displaystyle (\sqrt[5]{h-3},h)\)
If any horizontal line intersects the graph more than once then the function is not one-to-one. In that case your understanding is correct.

Assuming that you define "many-to-one" as "not one-to-one", then you could express it equally well either way. In my experience we usually focus on the special case, one-to-one, as what we are testing for, just as we say that the vertical line test is a test for a function, not for a one-to-many relation.