Two basic algebra questions-

hollyskomp

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to complete two problems from a practice placement test that I got from the internet (before I take the actual placement test at a college). I have been out of school for a long time, so please excuse me for asking for help! It is probably very simple to solve, I just can't seem to remember...

1) Which of the following equations has a graph that is a straight line?
A) y=x^2+1
B) 2x+3xy=5
C) x^2-y^2=3
D) x-y=2x

2) a line NOT parallel to y-3=ax is
A) x-3=y/a
B) x=y/a - 3/a
C) x=ay-3
D) 2ax=2y+5
E) ax-y=5a

1. Find what an equation of a line looks like. There are several 'flavors'. Try to convert the given equations into the same format. If you can - then it's a line.
2. Parallel lines have the same slope. Convert equations into a format that lets you compare line slopes.

… I have been out of school for a long time … I just can't seem to remember...
Hi Holly. The purpose of a placement test is to determine the appropriate class for your current skill level. You ought to skip questions on the test that you don't understand; otherwise, you risk being placed in a course for which you're not ready.

1) Which of the following equations has a graph that is a straight line?
When the relationship between variables x and y graphs as a straight line, the equation has a couple characteristics. Neither x nor y may be multiplied by anything other than a constant, and the only exponent allowed on either x or y is +1. Only one of the choices meets both conditions. (There are other ways to answer that question, as well.)

Can you tell us what you do remember about straight lines and their equations?

?

A few comments.
Those two questions are actually difficult for many students.
You said that you got the test from the internet, but is it from the college that will be giving you the placement test? Placement test are very different between colleges.

Some advice: Please don't study to the placement test. For example the problems from arithmetic on the place test is a very small part of an arithmetic course. So if you learn how to do the arithmetic problems that will most likely be on the test and you do quite well then maybe you only know about 10% or more of arithmetic. If that 10% or more is quite low then you have a very small chance of passing algebra. Same with placing out of algebra. If you learn a small percent of algebra to do well on the placement test that really will not be helpful in the end. Please believe me and the others helpers that it is not advisable to study towards a placement test. I have seen so many students taking and retaking and retaking the course that they should never have been put into from the start.

Now, if you just haven't seen the material for awhile then sure try to refresh yourself on the material. But be careful. I promise you that being placed in the wrong class is an extremely bad situation. For the record I taught at a community college for two decades so I know what I am speaking about.