Two-Column Proof: Given: Segment AB=x+16, Segment BC=4x+11, Segment AC=77; Prove: AB=26

ostennev

Write a complete two-column proof for the following information:
Given: Segment AB=x+16, Segment BC=4x+11, Segment AC=77
Prove: AB=26

That is the homework question but I do not understand how I should set the equation up. Setting the equation up is something that I have always had difficulty with and I need more assistance on this one than I thought.

Write a complete two-column proof for the following information:
Given: Segment AB=x+16, Segment BC=4x+11, Segment AC=77
Prove: AB=26

That is the homework question but I do not understand how I should set the equation up. Setting the equation up is something that I have always had difficulty with and I need more assistance on this one than I thought.
If there was no further information given, then there is no way to proceed -- or, rather, there are *loads* of ways to proceed, depending upon how one chooses to orient the unmoored points A, B, and C.

(It would be different, of course, if the points all lay on the same line, in lexicographic order, since then they'd have given you expressions for the lengths of the two smaller segments and a value for the length when the two segments are added together. Then you'd just add and set equal for the equation. But none of this is among the "givens", so we can't know how to proceed.)

Kindly please consult with your instructor regarding the missing information. Thank you!

Eliz.

(It would be different, of course, if the points all lay on the same line, in lexicographic order, since then they'd have given you expressions for the lengths of the two smaller segments and a value for the length when the two segments are added together. Then you'd just add and set equal for the equation. But none of this is among the "givens", so we can't know how to proceed.)
I believe this is actually the only situation where AB = 26 because in this case AB + BC = AC