Two Equations

greentree

I have two equations I need to solve. one is to write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes through the given point and is parallel to the given line x=4 (-7,3) The other is to write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes through the given point and is perpendicular to the given line y= 3 (4,-2)....can some one please help me with these equations....

I have two equations I need to solve. one is to write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes through the given point and is parallel to the given line x=4 (-7,3) The other is to write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes through the given point and is perpendicular to the given line y= 3 (4,-2)....can some one please help me with these equations....

ask yourself the following three questions (and find answers to those):

What is the equation of a line in slope-intercept form?

What is the relation ship between the slopes of parallel lines?

What is the relation ship between the slopes of perpendicular lines?

Please share your work with us, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

one is to write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes through the given point and is parallel to the given line x=4 (-7,3)

When x=4 has an undefined slope which means that there isn't a slope you can define (Its NOT 0). this is a Vertical line. So the slope of the parallel line is the same: undefined.
The online line that is parallel to x=4 and goes through (-7, 3) is x=-7

The other is to write an equation in slope-intercept form for a line that passes through the given point and is perpendicular to the given line y= 3 (4,-2)

Perpendicular slope is opposite reciprocal so if you had slope of 3/4 you would flip it 4/3 (reciprocal) and make it opposite (Negative become positive and positive negative) so it would be -4/3

So in this case of y=3 the slope is 0 however the opposite reciprocal of that is 0

Does this help?

Trevor Doyle, Math Teacher
Mountain Oaks School

Last edited by a moderator: