Unanswerable question?

Peggy

Hello math fans!
I will get right to the point. (Well, sort of, I need to explain the dilemma.)

I’m 63, and have worked on this my whole life. I’m educated; and use geometry often. I’m a nurse. I’ve been a professional organizer in people’s homes as a side gig and often use geometry for furniture placement. Graph paper is my friend. Closets, however, are my downfall only because my OCD kicks in and I want the solution to ne as perfect as possible for containers on the shelves within the closets. It seems simple, but it’s NOT AT ALL SIMPLE.

If you take a look inside a closet, you generally see a shelf above the hanging rod inside the sliding or hinged door. You can measure the shelf for a container, l x w x h, but it usually doesn’t work (as in putting it on a shelf on a wall), because there is an angle at which you must place it in order to get it onto the shelf.

The various measurements that come into play are the wood trim, clothes on hangers (which would be kept in place, but those are pretty much standard width), but allow 20 inches width, and it also depends on where the bar is located in relation to the shelf for that measurement out from the shelf, yet lower than the shelf itself. The reason I mention this is that you don’t want to empty the closet to get something off the shelf. So that measurement depends on where the hanger edge lands, add that to the shelf depth. The measurement of the shelf itself (from the ceiling down) would be an additional amount of inches down from the shelf to the point of where the hanger extends out. I hope you are understanding that the hanger protrusion is a necessary consideration.

It’s also preferable to have the container protruding from the shelf itself by a few inches, to be angle to reach it easier since it’s generally high up, so I add that if it will “work”...

So... there’s an angle at which you must place the box in order to get it to the shelf itself. This angle would include the area between the hanger edge and the top of the closet, and the top of the closet door. Those measurements count. Also the shelf width counts of course! ?

The bottom line is, before I die, I need a formula! I’ve been dealing with this my whole life, just moved to my forever home, and want to buy containers for my closet that will be functional and space-saving because it is a small home with small closets. The containers should slide directly onto and off the shelf without having to turn them sideways. Just one row (not stacking them) of containers on a shelf.

In this formula, the width of the shelf can be used as on definitive container measurement, but can be any measurement of course. The length of the shelf is irrelevant regarding the width of the container, as long as it fits the doorway width. The height and length of the container (assuming its rectangular or square) is the variable to be solved, if I’m correct. One issue is the angle, at the top and bottom of the container when you lift it onto a high shelf, from the lower closet door opening, considering the length of the container. It’s an inverted right angle inside the closet, but needs to become a different angle for the box to angle in from outside the door, depending on the height of the box, and the height of the shelf above the top of the door edge opening. We may be looking at two different formulas to make this workable?

Is a formula for the optimal container size (maximum dimensions for storage, height and length with width as a variable)even possible? I think it is, but have not been able to come up with one. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to help me get my sanity back. Good luck and thanks so very much for all your work, helping those that need a helping hand. Thank you in advance!

Bottom line: what I need is a formula, based on measurements of the closet itself, and angles and door opening and all things considered for a single container that will work to slide onto any closet shelf.

Ladies and gentlemen: I give you my issue, to save mankind from wasted space and forever having to purchase more containers that never quite work the first time, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for tackling this question. The first mathematically correct answer is a true math genius. I have been tackling this my whole life! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Peggy

I think the formula for optimal dimensions of the box would vary according to the relationships of various distances. (It also might depend on what is in the box, and how much it can be safely tipped. But maybe I imagine storing different types of things than you do ...)

It would help if you could give us a drawing (cross section) showing the ceiling, shelf, wall, doorway, and how you picture putting the box up, with various measurements you've mentioned marked.

Sorry, but the best answers start with questions.

Thank you for your very quick response!
The closets are all different criling heights. The shelves are all different depths also. The distances between the door openings and the shelving is all different. That’s why I would looove a formula.
You can assume that all will be safely tippable and no spillage. Upside down can be assumed to be safe for this application. Will give a photo, but 5DE29B4F-EF75-4080-A6FE-B996DCBB13FF.jpeg79274296-26F5-4AE9-805E-9B584551135D.jpeg E9DDE65D-1949-4BAF-93DA-5D2CEBF54D50.jpeg
will give a few. Happy to do so, so will do now...thank you again!

Lower shelves need hanger consideration and upper shelves need ceiling height and room to angle consideration, not hamger consideration. Lol. Crazy, right? Thank you so much again!

The first two photos show one dilemma... the ceiling is quite high (10 ft) and the shelf is high also, allowing only shallow, tall items for good use of storage (see second photo)

The container would be placed head-on, directly from the front. Im thinking of putting wrapping paper, rolled items, like contact paper, and such up there, and put a tension bar in front of the shelf so they don’t tumble down. UNLESS there is another solution of course!

The second photo is a small entryway closet. Trying to find multiple containers for gloves and hats that would suffice for quick access. That ceiling is 10 ft also, with shallow access. Here is another photo

I assume you can see why a formula would be optimal. Thanks so much again for even thinking about this. If there is a foemula I could use for closet shelf purposes in general, that is the ideal. To help others also when organizing. I have purchased many a container for people’s shelves and made many trips to return them because it just wasn't ideal. This would save many people so much trouble.

That dead space in high ceiling closets with small access points is very common.

Thank you for your very quick response!
The closets are all different criling heights. The shelves are all different depths also. The distances between the door openings and the shelving is all different. That’s why I would looove a formula.
You can assume that all will be safely tippable and no spillage. Upside down can be assumed to be safe for this application. Will give a photo, but will give a few. Happy to do so, so will do now...thank you again!
What I asked for was a cross-sectional drawing, perhaps with a sample set of measurements which could be assigned to variables.

I also suspect that the maximal volume for a given closet may be impractical, and if you have to choose among standard sizes, the ideal may not even be a useful guide for choosing, because different deviations from the ideal may be good in different ways. I doubt that one formula would be universal.

But if you can pick one closet, one of us might be able to work that one out with a formula that might apply to others.

My apologies. I was thinking a photo was better than any drawing I can produce. I assume that by asking for the ideal, I can always go smaller and it would work. I get that you are saying that the ideal might not work because of available sizes. Not to worry. I have solutions for all that. There ARE standard sizes, in volume, but not measurements, the top and bottom measurements are often different, etc. they are usually not perfect parallelograms, and the lids uaually protrude a bit at the top. I think my main concern to figure this out is that the container moves forward while placing it on a shelf. If it goes straight in, the formula l x w x h works great, but space is left above the container inside above the shelf. When moving it up onto the shelf, an angle is created, making use of the space above the shelf, then the space disappears as the container is set into place. I don’t know how to account for those movements when measuring. Also,
since I have no CAD program, I will draw and photograph if that will do.
I will start on it tonight and thank you again. The drawings will be forthcoming for two or three closets soon.