Unconventional mathematics. Really 2=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius

This is an interesting fact of conventional mathematics. There is no such thing as conventional mathematics. The number system serves no true role in calculus and higher level math. As an example 2=1.

Let a=b As long as I do anything to both the equation remains the same.
So, multiplying by a on both sides.

a^2=b*a

Next I will subtract b^2 from both sides

(a^2)-b^2=(b*a)-b^2

So far everything still adds up from our beginning equation. Let's factor now.

Difference of two squares and remove a b from the other side of the equation to factor

(a-b)*(a+b)=b(a-b)

Still equal right. Of course. Let's take out (a-b)

(a*b)=b

Getting unconventional, huh? I already said a=b so let's substitute.

(b*b)=b

Add like terms. Now we have ...

2*b=b

And let's divide by b. What now?

((2*b)/b)=(b/b)

So...

2=1

Cool. Technically 2 really does equal one.

Genius said:
(a-b)*(a+b)=b(a-b)

Still equal right. Of course. Let's take out (a-b)<<<This is where you went astray - dividing by zero is not allowed

(a*b)=b

Getting unconventional, huh? I already said a=b so let's substitute.

(b*b)=b

Add like terms. Now we have ...

2*b=b

And let's divide by b. What now?

((2*b)/b)=(b/b)

So... 2=1

Cool. Technically 2 really does equal one.<<<< Not technically - only in dream!!!This is not "advanced math" topic - it is unconventional alright because it is wrong

Genius said:
This is an interesting fact of conventional mathematics. There is no such thing as conventional mathematics. The number system serves no true role in calculus and higher level math. As an example 2=1.

Let a=b As long as I do anything to both the equation remains the same.

Respectfully disagree, Subhotosh Khan. It went wrong right up front. No need to wait for the middle where it also wandered off.

There are restrictions on "anything". For example, multiplying both sides by zero is not very instructive.

No, wait. I'm still not early enough.

"This is an interesting fact of conventional mathematics. There is no such thing as conventional mathematics. The number system serves no true role in calculus and higher level math."

The opening statement is entirely ridiculus. Anytime a Crackpot Alarm goes off, no need to examine the algebra!

Genius said:
This is an interesting fact of conventional mathematics. There is no such thing as conventional mathematics.

What is the interesting fact? Is the second sentence above the interesting fact?

Contemporary American English is the most ambiguous langugage in use on the planet today ... sigh ... :(

mmm4444bot said:
Genius said:
This is an interesting fact of conventional mathematics. There is no such thing as conventional mathematics.

What is the interesting fact? Is the second sentence above the interesting fact?

Contemporary American English is the most ambiguous langugage in use on the planet today ... sigh ... :(
Good call, mmm4444bot, I missed that. I don't find this ambiguous, but it is destructively circular.

"This is an interesting fact of conventional mathematics."

In order for there to be an "interesting fact", there must be "conventional mathematics".

"There is no such thing as conventional mathematics."

Clearly, there is no interesting fact, either.

tkhunny said:
... it is destructively circular ... there is no interesting fact, either.

Yup, yup. This is probably what motivated my sarcasm. :twisted:

Geez, lighten up. This was originally posted as a joke. In my precalculus class our teacher was instructing us on erroneous proofs, proofs which may seem to disobey previously set standards but contain very subtle errors. The statements and proofs used were completely made for fun. Sorry for igniting the wrong reactions.

Genius said:
Geez, lighten up. This was originally posted as a joke ... proofs which may seem to disobey previously set standards but contain very subtle errors ...

Hi Genius:

Geez, don't take it personally. :wink:

This is a very old "joke" which has been played at this web site (and others) many times.

In the future, your jokes may have a greater chance of succeeding if you delete the editorializing. Please understand that weirdos also visit this site; some spew garbage around here from time to time, as well. Sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference.

Also, I'm assuming that your use of the word "disobey" is a mistake; I'm guessing that you intended to say "obey".

~ Mark :)

I missed another one.

b*b ==> b^2 NOT 2b

Starting from there...

b^2 = b

Dividing by b

b = 1

This proof shows only that if two numbers are equal, one of them must be 1.

Actually, this is more interesting than the tired old 2 = 1.

Genius said:
Geez, lighten up. This was originally posted as a joke. In my precalculus class our teacher was instructing us on erroneous proofs, proofs which may seem to disobey previously set standards but contain very subtle errors. The statements and proofs used were completely made for fun. Sorry for igniting the wrong reactions.
Note: There are very, very foolish and silly things circulated that manage to impress many people, The least familiarity with algebra exposes most with ease. Nevertheless, the mind that is convinced is not easily unconvinced. Particularly since you posted in "Advanced Math", the unsuspecting eye is likely to believe what it sees. If you would like to post jokes, pick a better category.

Genius said:
Geez, lighten up. This was originally posted as a joke.
Then you "lighten up" and post your "joke" as a joke, rather than as a hostile ignorance-based attack on the (alleged) stupidity of the math tutors.

I'm sorry you're upset or offended or whatever by the fact that we couldn't read your mind and discern your hidden agenda; that we "merely" used the information you provided, gave you the respect of taking you seriously, and attempted to help someone who, to all appearances, was unknowingly embarassing himself.

Perhaps you could kindly take our lack of Vulcan mind-melding skills into account next time you decide to bless us with your wisdom...? :roll:

Eliz.

You all have a point. I messed up in posting my joke and will in the future try to not make it sound so serious. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.