Uniformity of units in a quadratic function

chromechris

There is a sample word problem in a textbook about creating a quadratic function in vertex form to model the word problem. I understand solving the problem, however, what I do not understand about the example is when only the variable "k" is converted from inches to feet, while the variable "a" is kept in inches. The function is then solved while using these two different units of measurement within the function. Why not also convert "a" to feet? Sorry if this is an ignorant question. The question is in the following image:

There is a sample word problem in a textbook about creating a quadratic function in vertex form to model the word problem. I understand solving the problem, however, what I do not understand about the example is when only the variable "k" is converted from inches to feet, while the variable "a" is kept in inches. The function is then solved while using these two different units of measurement within the function. Why not also convert "a" to feet? Sorry if this is an ignorant question. The question is in the following image:

Only converting "a" varible and not "k" variable from inches to feet
I don't understand your claim. The parameter a is in feet per second per second, and doesn't need conversion; k is given in inches and converted to feet. Everything is consistent.