Use Riemann sum to get the limit of: lim ?→∞ summa ?=1 to n for [1/(3 + (4?)/n)] * (4/n)

UserOfThisAccount

I have not troubble converting it to an integral, and findig the solution, ln(7/3). I have a lot of problem making sense of the Riemann sum. The limit of the expression goes to zero, and I strongly belive that is not supposed to be like that. If so, this task is laughably short.

What makes you think the limit is 0? For any n, this is the sum of n terms, each of which is positive! How could the limit, as n goes to infinity, be 0?

As a "Riemann sum" we have an interval of length 4, divided into n sub-intervals, so that each sub-interval has length 4/n. We are summing a function of the form \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3+ \frac{4i/n}}\) with i going from 0 to n. In the limit as n goes to infinity that becomes the integral \(\displaystyle \int_0^4 \frac{1}{3+ 4x}dx\(\displaystyle . Let u= 3+ 4x so that when x= 0, u= 3 and when x= 4,u= 7. du= 4dx so dx= du/4. The integral becomes \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\int_4^7 \frac{1}{u}= \left[ln(|u|)\right]_4^7= ln(7)- ln(4)= ln\left(frac{7}{4}\right)\).

The limit, as n goes to infinity, of this expression, is \(\displaystyle ln\left(frac{7}{4}\right)\).\)\)

Hi. As stated above i do not belive that the answer is zero. That is why i am asking for help summing up the riemannsum for said formula, because i am getting the wrong answer. The integral itself is not a problem, but I am not alowed to solve it this way.

Some aditional information I have calculated since last time: The function in question is 1/(3+x). The value of x_i* is (4i/n). Delta x is 4/n.

The problem occurs when I substitute the value of i for the fromula (n(n+1))/2 seeing as i get [1/(3 + (4?)/n)] * (4/n) = 4/(n(2n+5)). Taking the limit as n goes to infinity I get zero. I am certain that value must be incorrect.