Using properties of Integrals: show 1/96 <= (1/pi^2)....

ku1005

I've been working on this one for a while. I can see where the numbers come from, but I just can't seem to justify why it would be this way...? Any tips/suggestions woul be great!

. . .Show that:

. . .1/96 <= 1/(pi^2) Int(Pi/4 to Pi/3) xcosx dx <= 1/36sqrt(2)

I have been trying to use the Squeeze Theorem, so:

. . .-x/pi^2 <= xcosx/pi^2 <= x/pi^2

Thus, when x is between pi/4 and pi/3, we get:

. . .1/4pi <= xcosx/pi^2 <= 1/3pi

Therefore:

. . .1/48 <= Int (pi/4 to Pi/3) xcosx/pi^2 <= 1/36 (ie I multiplied by pi/12)

I am out by a factor of 1/2 (ie i understand is cos(pi/3) on the left and 1/sqrt(2) - ie cos(pi/4)on the right but dont understand how to encorporate them???

Cheers for any suggestions and tips!

Rhys

It may help to note that on the interval is question cosine is decreasing.
\(\displaystyle \L\frac{\pi }{4} \le x \le \frac{\pi }{3}\, \Rightarrow \;\frac{1}{2} \le \cos (x) \le \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2}\)

so can I just say that...or should I provide some proof because Im not quite sure how you came up with that???

like...its obvious to me in my head....but can I just say it??

Re: Using properties of Integrals

Hello, Rhys!

Show that: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{1}{96}\;\leq\; \frac{1}{\pi^2}\L\int^{\;\;\;\frac{\pi}{3}}_{\frac{\pi}{4}}x\cdot\cos x\,dx\;\leq\; \frac{\sqrt{2}}{36}\)

In the following, \(\displaystyle x\) is on the interval \(\displaystyle \left[\frac{\pi}{4},\,\frac{\pi}{3}\right]\)

Let \(\displaystyle \L\:I \;=\;\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int^{\;\;\;\frac{\pi}{3}}_{\frac{\pi}{4}}x\cdot\cos x\,dx\)

Conisder the right half of the inequality.

Since \(\displaystyle \,\cos x \:\leq \: 1\), then: \(\displaystyle x\cdot\cos x \:\leq \:x\)

Hence: \(\displaystyle \L\:I\;=\;\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int^{\;\;\;\frac{\pi}{3}}_{\frac{\pi}{4}}x\cdot\cos x\,dx \;\leq \;\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int^{\;\;\;\frac{\pi}{3}}_{\frac{\pi}{4}} x\,dx\)

. . We have: \(\displaystyle \L\:I \;\leq \;\int^{\;\;\;\frac{\pi}{3}}_{\frac{\pi}{3}}x\,dx\;=\;\frac{1}{\pi^2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}x^2\,]\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\pi}{3} \\ \\ \\ \frac{\pi}{4}\end{array} \;=\;\frac{7}{288} \;=\;0.024305...\)

. . Since \(\displaystyle \L\frac{\sqrt{2}}{36}\:=\:0.03928...\), we have: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{7}{288} \:<\:\frac{\sqrt{2}}{36}\)

Therefore: \(\displaystyle \L\:I \:< \:\frac{\sqrt{2}}{36}\)

For the left half of the inequality, we must show that: \(\displaystyle \L\:I \:\geq \:\frac{1}{96}\)

I'll let you work it out . . .

\(\displaystyle \L
\begin{array}{l}
\frac{x}{2} \le x\cos (x) \le \frac{{x\sqrt 2 }}{2} \\
\int\limits_{\pi /4}^{\pi /3} {\frac{x}{2}dx} \le \int\limits_{\pi /4}^{\pi /3} {x\cos (x)dx} \le \int\limits_{\pi /4}^{\pi /3} {\frac{{x\sqrt 2 }}{2}dx} \\
\end{array}\)