Various Questions Triangles

serialkisser

Im having trouble with these questions, I couldn't find the answer for number 2 googling, and dont know how to proceed with number 3 and 4. I really need to be done tomorrow before 12 pm; therefor I would be really thankful for any help :)

2.How is the area of two similar triangles related to the length of the sides?

3.While on a train journey through northern Ontario, a passenger was curious about the height of the train. At one of the stops, she noticed that a passenger was standing next to the train. She knew his height, and knew she could measure the length of his shadow and that of the train's. The passenger was 1.8 m tall, casting a shadow 0.6 m long. The shadow of the train was 2.4 m long. Use the principles of similar triangles to find the height of the train. Draw a sketch and show your calculations.

I tried starting with the following, but I think im wrong

A-B= 1.8
B-C= 0.6
A-C= 2.4

??? and even if that's right , how do I move on ?

4.Brian decided to help his parents with their triangular garden (which measures 3 m by 4 m by 5 m). They want to extend the garden, but keep it in the shape of a triangle. They would like to extend the 3 m and 4 m sides by a factor of 1.5. His parents are concerned about the area of the new garden, since they have only so many flowers to plant. Brian assures them that the entire area of the new garden won't be that big. He is able to use the principles of similar triangles to show his parents. Describe the solution Brian could present to his parents. Draw a sketch and show your solution.

serialkisser said:
4.Brian decided to help his parents with their triangular garden (which measures 3 m by 4 m by 5 m). They want to extend the garden, but keep it in the shape of a triangle. They would like to extend the 3 m and 4 m sides by a factor of 1.5. His parents are concerned about the area of the new garden, since they have only so many flowers to plant. Brian assures them that the entire area of the new garden won't be that big. He is able to use the principles of similar triangles to show his parents. Describe the solution Brian could present to his parents. Draw a sketch and show your solution.

The scale factor of the triangles' sides is 1.5.
In similar triangles, the ratio of the areas is the square of the scale factor.