VECTORS HELP !!!

Ana.stasia

QUESTION:
Determine the projection of the vector AB on the s-axis, if the angle between the vector AB and the unit vector e of the s-axis = 60 degrees and if the intensity AB is 8.

This is how I TRIED to do it.

130712467_1060495367751975_4950729069695335237_n.jpg

I got 4, which is correct. However I am not sure If what I got is even the projection of vector AB. And if it is, why?

Thank you in advance.

QUESTION:
Determine the projection of the vector AB on the s-axis, if the angle between the vector AB and the unit vector e of the s-axis = 60 degrees and if the intensity AB is 8.

View attachment 23635

I got 4, which is correct. However I am not sure If what I got is even the projection of vector AB. And if it is, why?

Thank you in advance.
Your answer is correct.

However, for "why" - do a google search with key-words "dot product, projection, vector".

If you do not understand something please come-back and tell us with a reference.

QUESTION:

View attachment 23635

Thank you in advance.
What were you taught as the definition of the (scalar) projection of a vector on a line?

Why are you not sure that the scalar product with a unit vector is the scalar projection on that line?

What were you taught as the definition of the (scalar) projection of a vector on a line?

Why are you not sure that the scalar product with a unit vector is the scalar projection on that line?

We were not taught anything. We just have homework and I am trying to learn it by myself.