Vectors

brinlin

Find a vector that is perpendicular to the plane passing through the points P (1, 2, 3), Q (2, 3, 1), and R (3, 1, 2).

Forum Guidelines said:
Unless you say otherwise, we will treat you like a student working on a school assignment
Do you need links to online lessons? Have you worked with vectors and planes in three dimensions?

Forum Guidelines said:
Simply posting an exercise statement without showing work or asking specific questions is not enough for us to help you quickly. As tutors, we need clues about parts you already understand versus what you find confusing, so we can determine where to begin helping you. The sooner you show efforts, the sooner we can get to the heart of the matter. If you cannot begin an exercise, please tell us why (eg: unknown concept, confusing example, unfamiliar symbol, missing definition, unclear language)

?

Well, first, find the equation of the plane!

Any plane can be written \(\displaystyle A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0\) for some A, B, and C and \(\displaystyle (x_0, y_0, z_0)\) a point in the plane.

Since the plane contains the point (1, 2, 3) we can take \(\displaystyle (x_0, y_0, z_0)= (1, 2, 3)\) and write the plane A(x- 1)+ B(y- 2)+ C(z- 3)= 0.

We can further write that as \(\displaystyle (Ai+ Bj+ Ck)\cdot ((x-1)i+ (y- 2)j+ (z- 3)k)= 0\). Since (x-1)i+ (y- 2)j+ (z- 3)k is a vector in the plane, Ai+Bj+ Ck is a vector perpendicular to the plane.

Since the plane contains the point (2, 3, 1) we must have
A(2- 1)+ B(3- 2)+ C(1- 3)= A+ B- 2C= 0.

Since the plane contains the point (3, 2, 1) we must have
A(3- 1)+ B(2- 2)+ C(1- 3)= 2A- 2C= 0.

From 2A- 2C= 0, C= A so A+ B- 2C= A+ B- 2A= B- A= 0 so B= A.

We can write the equation of the plane as A(x- 1)+ A(y- 2)+ A(z- 3)= 0 and the vector Ai+ Aj+ Ak is perpendicular to the plane for any number A. In particular, taking A= 1, i+ j+ k is perpendicular to the plane.

Find a vector that is perpendicular to the plane passing through the points P (1, 2, 3), Q (2, 3, 1), and R (3, 1, 2).
Have you learned about cross products (vector products)? If so, think about vectors PQ and PR, for example.

Dr. Peterson's suggestion was, as usual, better than mine. The vectors PQ and PR lie in the plane and their cross product is perpendicular to the plane.

We have [imath]\overrightarrow {PQ} = \left\langle {1,1, - 2} \right\rangle \;\& \;\overrightarrow {PR} = \left\langle {2, - 1, - 1} \right\rangle[/imath]
What is [imath]\overrightarrow {PQ} = \left\langle {1,1, - 2} \right\rangle \times\overrightarrow {PR} = \left\langle {2, - 1, - 1} \right\rangle=?[/imath]

Since this has been up here a week (and I just can't resist)

\(\displaystyle \vec{PQ}\times \vec{PR}= \begin{vmatrix}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ 1 & 1 & -2 \\ 2 & -1 & -1 \end{vmatrix}= \vec{i}\begin{vmatrix}1 & -2 \\ -1 & -1 \end{vmatrix}- \vec{j}\begin{vmatrix}1 & -2 \\ 2 & -1\end{vmatrix}+ \vec{k}\begin{vmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 2 & -1\end{vmatrix}\)
\(\displaystyle = \vec{i}(-1- 2)- \vec{j}(-1+ 2)+ \vec{k}(-1- 2)= -3\vec{i}- \vec{j}- 3\vec{k}\).

Of course, swapping \(\displaystyle \vec{PQ}\) and \(\displaystyle \vec{PR}\) in the determinant would change the sign, giving \(\displaystyle 3\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ 3\vec{k}\), in the opposite direction, but still perpendiculr to the plane.

Last edited: