Velocity of skydiver satisfies dv/dt = -2v - 32, v(0) = -50

Undeuxtroiscatsank?

Hi, I'm new here! I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. Thanks. So, anyways...

1.) Let v(t) be the velocity, in feet per second, of a skydiver at time "t" seconds, t ≥ 0. After her parachute opens, her velocity satisfies the differential equation dv/dt = -2v - 32, with initial condition v(0) = -50.

a) Find an equation for v(t).

I'm guessing I have to take the integral of "-2v - 32" for this one. I'm not sure, though. Please help me start it off, or rough directions I should follow, if possible.

b) Termnial Velocity is defined as limit t →∞ v(t). Find the terminal velocity of the skydiver to the nearest foot per second.

I think I have to know how to do part a) do part b).

c) It is safe to land when her speed is 20 feet per second. At what time t does she reach this speed?

?

Thank you so much. Any suggestions are appreciated.

a) Integrate dv/dt with respect to t, using the initial condition to find the value of the integration constant.

b) Take the limit as t gets infinitely large.

c) Set v(t) equal to "20" and solve for the time t.

If you get stuck, please reply showing all of your work and reasoning. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re: Velocity of skydiver satisfies dv/dt = -2v - 32, v(0) =

Undeuxtroiscatsank? said:
Hi, I'm new here! I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. Thanks. So, anyways...

1.) Let v(t) be the velocity, in feet per second, of a skydiver at time "t" seconds, t ≥ 0. After her parachute opens, her velocity satisfies the differential equation dv/dt = -2v - 32, with initial condition v(0) = -50.

a) Find an equation for v(t).

I'm guessing I have to take the integral of "-2v - 32" for this one. I'm not sure, though. Please help me start it off, or rough directions I should follow, if possible.

dv/dt = -2v - 32
dv/dt = -2(v + 16)
seperate variables ...
dv/(v+16) = -2 dt
now integrate.

b) Termnial Velocity is defined as limit t →∞ v(t). Find the terminal velocity of the skydiver to the nearest foot per second.

I think I have to know how to do part a) do part b).

correct

c) It is safe to land when her speed is 20 feet per second. At what time t does she reach this speed?

you guessed it ... you need v as a function of time to answer this one too. remember that speed = |v|.

?

Thank you so much. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Wow! Thanks for your replies! So, this is what I've done:
a)
∫ dv/(v+16) = ∫ -2dt
ln |v+16| = -2t + C
v+16 = e^(-2t + C)
v+16 = (e^-2t) · C
v = (e^-2t) - 16 · C
Initial condition v(0)= -50

-50 = e^(-2(0)) - 16 · C
-50 = 1 - 16 · C
-35 = C
v = e^(-2t) - 16 · (-35)

Is this correct?

And for part (b) I take the limit of "e^(-2t) - 16 · (-35)", right? How would that work out?

For (c), I think I messed up:

v = e^(-2t) - 16 · (-35)
20= e^(-2t) - 16 · (-35)
20= e^(-2t) · 560
20/560 = e^(-2t)
ln 20/560 = -2t
ln 20 - ln 560 = -2t
2.996 - 6.328 = -2t
-3.332 = -2t
-3.332/-2 = t
1.666 = t

Thank you for all your help! I still can't get over the fact that you take the time to look at my questions. You've been great help!