Venn diagram - probability distribution: What is differnce in Venn diagram?

tjdj003

Hi,

What is the difference between venn diagram eg. Shows how many student (out of 50) take sociology or philosophy or both and probability distribution? Why cannot prob.dist be in venn diagram form?

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

What is the difference between venn diagram eg. Shows how many student (out of 50) take sociology or philosophy or both and probability distribution? Why cannot prob.dist be in venn diagram form?
There is only one venn diagram so it would be hard to state the difference between the venn diagrams.
The number of students that take sociology or philosophy or both is 18 + 12 + 11

Before I tell you why the prob.dist can't be in venn diagram form can you 1st state what the prob.dist is in this example?

I am not looking for answer for venn diagram but rather trying to understand the difference between venn diagram and prob.dist. As far as prob.dist is concerned, I think it is probability of all the random variable.

… Why cannot prob.dist be in venn diagram form?
Did you try to do that? For the given example, show us what you think the probability distribution would look like, if it were expressed in Venn diagram form. In particular, where in such a Venn-diagram illustration would the probability for #8 appear? That probability involves two regions in the Venn diagram which are separate from each other. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi,
venn.gif
\(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}(A\vee B)=\frac{j+h+k}{N}\), probability of A or B.

\(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}(A\wedge \neg B)=\frac{j}{N}\), probability of A and not B.

\(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}(A| B)=\frac{h}{h+k}\), probability of A given B.

\(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}[(A\vee B)\wedge\neg(A\wedge B)]=\frac{j+k}{N}\), probability of A or B but not both.

I think I have confused everyone. I am working with random variable and joint prob.distribution. My professor showed us a formula that p(x,y)=p(X=x AND Y=y). Where X was manufacting machine problem and Y= production cost. He showed a 2x3 table to check whether machine problem would increase production cost. I thought it is same as venn diagram when it intersects. But he told me that venn diagram is not applicable, therefore I was confused why it isn't.

I thought it is same as venn diagram when it intersects. But he told me that venn diagram is not applicable, therefore I was confused why it isn't.
Because an apple is not an orange even though both are fruit.