Verbal statement into mathematical equation

Bea

Translate each verbal statement into mathematical equation using indicate variable.....

1) The sum of the squares of a number x and 3 yields 25.
2)The sum of two consecutive integers x and (x+1) equals 25.

Please answer ...Thanks

Translate each verbal statement into mathematical equation using indicate variable.....

Please answer ...Thanks
I think the first statement should have "square" rather than "squares".

Please answer ...Thanks
for (2) - you are given expressions of two numbers

x and (x+1)

how would you express their sum?

Ask yourself a sum! Your answer will be something like the sum of 3 and 5 is. That form need to be imbedded into your brain! The key word you are looking for is AND. What is to the left of AND and to the right of AND are the values/expressions which you are adding.

You want to know how to write the sum of x AND x+1? Use the method I described above. It will never fail you!

The original statement
"The sum of the squares of a number x and 3 yields 25"
makes more sense to me than
"The sum of the square of a number x and 3 yields 25".

The first is \(\displaystyle x^2+ 3^2= x^2+ 9= 25\) which reduces to \(\displaystyle x^2= 25- 9= 16\) so x=4 or x= -4.

The second is \(\displaystyle x^2+ 3= 25\) which reduces to \(\displaystyle x^2= 25- 3= 22\) so \(\displaystyle x= \pm\sqrt{22}\).

In the other one, "The sum of two consecutive integers x and (x+1) equals 25" you don't really need to worry about what "consecutive integers" mean- you are told that the numbers are "x" and "x+ 1". Their "sum" is x+ x+ 1= 2x+ 1= 25.
2x= 25- 1= 24 so x= 24/2= 12.

The original statement
"The sum of the squares of a number x and 3 yields 25"
makes more sense to me than
"The sum of the square of a number x and 3 yields 25".

The first is \(\displaystyle x^2+ 3^2= x^2+ 9= 25\) which reduces to \(\displaystyle x^2= 25- 9= 16\) so x=4 or x= -4.

The second is \(\displaystyle x^2+ 3= 25\) which reduces to \(\displaystyle x^2= 25- 3= 22\) so \(\displaystyle x= \pm\sqrt{22}\).
Yeah maybe.