Volume and total surface

missmissy

hey everyone im new here and i really need help with this i dont understand at all...

1.) If the bottom of the box is to be a square and the height is to be 20 inches, what will the dimensions of the bottom be?

2.) If a shipping box is to have a fixed volume of 600 cubic inches, what equations would be convenient for calculating the following?

-required height for many different combinations of length anf width

-required length for many different combinations of height and width

-required width for many different combinations of height and length

thank you!!

Ummm... You have provided only part of the problem statement.

Have some patience. We will get to you MUCH faster if you write a clear AN COMPLETE problem statement AND show what you have tried. We can help much better if we know what we are working with.

missmissy said:
hey everyone im new here and i really need help with this i dont understand at all...

1.) If the bottom of the box is to be a square and the height is to be 20 inches, what will the dimensions of the bottom be?

2.) If a shipping box is to have a fixed volume of 600 cubic inches, what equations would be convenient for calculating the following?

-required height for many different combinations of length anf width

-required length for many different combinations of height and width

-required width for many different combinations of height and length

thank you!!

1) Were you given some other information on this one? If the base is a square, and you let x = the length of one side of this square, then
Volume = 20*x*x
and
Surface area = 20*4x + x<SUP>2</SUP>

If you are given either the surface area or the volume, substitute it into the appropriate equation and solve for x.

2) We know that for a "box"
Volume = length*width*height

If you let L = length, W = width, and H = height, then
Volume = LWH

This box has a volume of 600 in<SUP>3</SUP>. So,
600 = LWH

If you are going to be determining the "required height for many different combinations of length and width", then I think you would want the above equation to be in the form "H = something". Solve for H:
600/(LW) = H

You should be able to figure out the other two now.