volume of a cylinder

Ruiz007

Hi I need help!! :x
I need step by step help with this problem... How may cubic yards of dirt must be dug to make a well 4 feet 6 inches in diameter and 42 feet deep? Thank you!

Ruiz007 said:
Hi I need help!! :x
I need step by step help with this problem... How may cubic yards of dirt must be dug to make a well 4 feet 6 inches in diameter and 42 feet deep? Thank you!

You should convert all the given dimensions to inches - then find the volume of the well.

What is the volume of the well in cubic inches? ..............................................(1)

How many cubic inches are there in a cubic yard?............................................(2)

Divide (1) by (2) to get your answer.

Not to appear contradictory, but I do not believe it is necessary to convert to inches (though, one certainly can if they wish). There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard, so just find the volume, as is, in cubic feet, then divide by 27.

Since the diameter is 4.5 feet, then the radius is 2.25 feet.

\(\displaystyle \frac{{\pi}(2.25)^{2}(42)}{27}\)

galactus said:
Not to appear contradictory, but I do not believe it is necessary to convert to inches (though, one certainly can if they wish). There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard, so just find the volume, as is, in cubic feet, then divide by 27.

Since the diameter is 4.5 feet, then the radius is 2.25 feet.

\(\displaystyle \frac{{\pi}(2.25)^{2}(42)}{27}\)

Not at all contradictory - I just feel comfortable working with inches - I somehow visualize it better. As you have said it is just two different (correct) approaches to the same problem.

\(\displaystyle Without \ a \ calculator, \ which \ would \ you \ rather \ reduced:\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{42\pi(2.25)^2}{27}(ft.), \ \frac{504\pi(27)^2}{46656}(in.), \ or \ \frac{1280.16\pi(68.58)^2}{764554.857984}(cm.)?\)

\(\displaystyle The \ reason \ for \ my \ above \ statement \ is \ since \ Subhotosh \ Khan \ feels \ more \ comfortable \ working\)

\(\displaystyle with \ inches \ instead \ of \ feet; \ maybe \ he \ feels \ more \ comfortable \ still \ working \ with \ centimeters\)

\(\displaystyle instead \ of \ inches.\)

BigGlenntheHeavy said:
\(\displaystyle Without \ a \ calculator, \ which \ would \ you \ rather \ reduce ?:\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{42\pi(2.25)^2}{27} \ or \ \frac{504\pi(27)^2}{46656}?\)
Please share your work with us, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.