Volume

Petenerd

A figure has 8 cubes on the bottom, shaping the bottom into a rectangle. 1 cube is places on top of the cube (anywhere on top.) The question asks for the volume of it. I know the formula for volume is length times width times height, which gives you 8, but volume is suppose to be how many cubes can fit or in a figure, which is 9 cubes. Which way is correct? :?:

I can think of three different ways to place 8 cubes so as to form a rectangle. Are the cubes all the same size? It would be good if you could copy the problem exactly as stated and give that to us. As it is now, at least for me, the question is not clear.

The "length times width times height" formula applies only to rectangular prisms (that is, to brick-like shapes, including cubes). What you've described sounds like a layer of eight cubes (perhaps four-by-two?), topped by a second layer containing one cube. Since this is an irregular shape, the "length times width times height" formula cannot apply.

Try finding the volume of each cube, and then multiplying by the number of cubes. :wink:

Loren said:
I can think of three different ways to place 8 cubes so as to form a rectangle. Are the cubes all the same size? It would be good if you could copy the problem exactly as stated and give that to us. As it is now, at least for me, the question is not clear.

The cubes are all the same size.

Post the ORIGINAL problem IN FULL, supply a diagram; else don't expect an answer :shock:

Petenerd said:
The cubes are all the same size.
So find the volume of one cube, and multiply by the number of cubes.

Pete, next time you post a problem, post the #$%@#$ thing in it's ORIGINAL wording.
Plus have someone CHECK what you posted: you are usually annoyingly UNCLEAR.

That way, you have a better chance of being helped; kapish?