Watchers... (Neopets "Lenny Conundrum" Round 163)

emmaiskool242

They started watching you the day before yesterday, when there were one-fifth the number of watchers in the woods watching you today. Yesterday, eighteen more watchers started watching you from the woods, but that was still only one-third of today's total. Tomorrow, there will be four times as many watching you as were watching you yesterday.
How many watchful watchers will be added between today and tomorrow??

Do you know the answer to this question anyone...i didn't know where to put it so I thought it would fit here =)

ADVISORY: NEOPETS "LENNY CONUNDRUM" QUESTION

emmaiskool242 said:
i didn't know where to put it so I thought it would fit here
Neopets' "Lenny Conundrum" contest puzzlers should be posted to Neopets or Neopets-related sites, not to math-tutoring sites as though they were math homework.

Thank you for your consideration of the students who come here for help with their classes.

Eliz.

Note to tutors: The above is the Round 163 contest question, which, in its original form, doesn't say "watchers in the woods"; it instead refers to something called "Meepits". Otherwise, the "Lenny" is unchanged. This may be confirmed by Googling "Lenny Conundrum" and reviewing the various Neopets-specific places to which the solution was posted some days ago.

Re: Watchers... (Neopets "Lenny Conundrum" Round 1

emmaiskool242 said:
They started watching you the day before yesterday, when there were one-fifth the number of watchers in the woods watching you today. Yesterday, eighteen more watchers started watching you from the woods, but that was still only one-third of today's total. Tomorrow, there will be four times as many watching you as were watching you yesterday.
How many watchful watchers will be added between today and tomorrow??

Do you know the answer to this question anyone...i didn't know where to put it so I thought it would fit here =)

OK so between the day before yesterday and yesterday 18 people joined, which is 1/3 - 1/5 of todays total. therefore 18 is 2/15 of todays total, so today there are 225 people, which means that tomorrow there will be 4 x(1/3 x 225) people, which is 4 x 75 = 300. so there will be 75 people added between today and tomorrow

Actually, the correct answer to that Round was "45".

Eliz.

Agree with 45:
n = today
yesterday: n/5 + 18 = n/3 ; n = 135
tomorrow: 4n/3 = 180

180 - 135 = 45

"Yesterday, eighteen more watchers started watching you from the woods, but that was still only one-third of today's total"

But to get 45, I have to assume that means: ...but yesterday's total was 1/3 of today's

If it means: 18 was 1/3 of today's
then mad_m is correct.

oh yeah sorry i made a mistake with my arithmetic (multiplied 9 by 15 and got 225 *embarrassed face*), sorry