Weird Function (found in Desmos)

benpeters458

I was Fiddling around on the Desmos Graphing tool and came across this function:
1678867315491.png
with the value r being a variable and it gave me this graph
1678867354716.png
I was wondering if anyone knew what this function was and if there is a way to extend it like this
1678867454651.png
sorry about all the pictures by the way

I was Fiddling around on the Desmos Graphing tool and came across this function:
View attachment 35241
with the value r being a variable and it gave me this graph
View attachment 35242
I was wondering if anyone knew what this function was and if there is a way to extend it like this
View attachment 35243
sorry about all the pictures by the way
Looks like a tilted parabola; to get the whole thing, just square both sides: [math]\left(x+y\right)^{2}=2rx+2y[/math]

benpeters458, did you intend this?

\(\displaystyle x + y \ = \ \sqrt{r^2x^2 + y^2 \ } \)
No, what he means is what he showed on Desmos, [imath]x + y \ = \ \sqrt{r2x2 + y2 \ } = \ \sqrt{4rx + 2y \ }[/imath]. That's what I graphed to check it out, and squared to get my alternative,
Looks like a tilted parabola; to get the whole thing, just square both sides: [math]\left(x+y\right)^{2}=2rx+2y[/math]
(Except I'd forgotten to change r^2 to 2r.)

(Of course, he may well have intended squares, but that's not the graph he asked about.)

Here are the graphs:

1678912879444.png
1678912928488.png

(I'd first graphed what appears to be the intended equation, whose graph is nothing like this.)

came across this function … with the value r being a variable
Hi Ben. Here's some information about terminology. The relationship between your x and y is not a function, and r is not called a variable (even though its value may vary).

If y were a function of x, then there would be only one output (y-value) for any valid input (x-value). As explained in the 'function' link above, any vertical, intersecting line drawn on a function's graph must touch the curve at one point only. If such a line contacts the graph more than once, then there are two or more outputs for that value of x — violating the definition of a function.

Symbol r represents a parameter. Parameters are fixed values (constants) that change from one application or equation to another within the same family. For example, the equation of a non-vertical line in the xy-plane (written in Slope-Intercept form) is [imath]y=mx+b[/imath]. Symbols x and y are variables; symbols m and b are parameters. So, m and b are fixed for any particular line in the family of such lines, but whenever we switch to a different line, the parameter values m and b change.

sorry about all the pictures
There's no need for sorrow! We really like pictures, and 'more' is generally better than 'less'. Cheers :)
[imath]\;[/imath]