weird pattern

Here is a pattern based on the fact that each specified inner number is a perfect square.

Take the difference between the two numbers in the outer layer of each quadrant, double that difference, and square.

[math]\{2(4 - 4)\}^2 = 0.\\ \{2(6 - 3)\}^2 = 36.\\ \{2(9 - x)\}^2 = 64 \implies 2|9 - x| = 8 \implies x = 5 \text { or } 13.\\ \{2(9 - 6)\}^2 = 36. [/math]
13, 36 is AN answer. I am sure that you could dream up other formulas that would work for other pairs. This is so stupid.
Thank you Jeff for the pattern, I agree with you if there are many possible formulas, then this is a bad question that I can complain to the giver.

Since JeffM's answer in #18 is built around squares, it's possible that that second part is intended as sort of a hint, by focusing your attention on squares! And you never stated any words as part of the statement of the problem; it is always possible that some subtlety of the wording might suggest something not otherwise visible. I suspect that the wording also would have called attention to the choices and explained that they mean (x,y).

This is why we ask to see an entire problem:

Post the complete text of the exercise. This would include the full statement of the exercise including the instructions, so the tutors will know what you're working on. Typing exercises word-for-word also helps us identify possible mistakes in class materials. If there's a graphic or table or some other non-textual information necessary, please include a detailed description. You may upload images to our server.​

Ultimately, this is a matter of respect for the people trying to help you.

But the problem, as far as we can tell so far, is defective in that there is never certainty that "the pattern" you find is unique. The term "pattern" is not well-defined. Of course, knowing the problem is a bad one mathematically and pedagogically doesn't help you at all, other than perhaps relieving you of concern that not being able to solve it means you are defective. You are not.
Ah noted sir, I didn't mean anything negative, please let me apology if the last part is considered crucial, my limited understanding is finding x and y is the only goal, and finding x^2 - y^2 is only for amusement only. My sincere apology, did not mean disrespect at all. But I am enlightened to hear that this question sux and not good at all, and does not provide any mathematical development. I will definitely bring it up.

Ah noted sir, I didn't mean anything negative, please let me apology if the last part is considered crucial, my limited understanding is finding x and y is the only goal, and finding x^2 - y^2 is only for amusement only. My sincere apology, did not mean disrespect at all. But I am enlightened to hear that this question sux and not good at all, and does not provide any mathematical development. I will definitely bring it up.
Actually, I wasn't asking for an apology. I was asking, again, for you to show us the whole problem and relieve some of our doubts! Maybe I should have mentioned kindness to us, more than respect.