What area of math is this? Filtering data, multiple criteria and constraints

hiohaa

hope someone can point me in the right direction so i can study the area i need in order to solve the problem.

I have a set of data, a list of 100+ records. Each record has a group of properties associated with it - i.e. some records have 20 or 30 properties, other records have 5 or 10.
Each property within each record has about 5 or 6 different data associated with it e.g. Number of bedrooms, number of properties, property Value, Property type, etc.. so a mixture of qualitative and quantitative data.

So, 1 record will have 10 properties, each property will have the above data. Another record will have 50 properties, etc...

From those 100+ records, i'm trying to find a way to create a selection process that enables me to scan the data and find a bunch of records which most closely matches my criteria. For e.g. of the 100 records, I want to find a formula or method that allows me to turn those records into something that allows me to select a group of them, that fit the criteria that i select.

I thought at first this would be some kind of constrained optimization problem or linear programming but could be totally wrong; any ideas?

This sounds more like a relational database (RDBMS) type of problem than mathematical optimisation. I'd recommend you do some research about databases (and SQL) to see they can provide a solution for you. If you still think that this problem is mathematical, then maybe you can post a small example of the sort of criteria that you might want to use.