What is the rule

Mimi1222

What is the rule for this I'm not sure if she wrote the numbers down right I can't fig it out

Attachments

• 20200305_160458.jpg
    20200305_160458.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
It appears to me that you take \(x\) and double it, and then subtract 1, that is:

[MATH]y=2x-1[/MATH]
or:

[MATH]x=\frac{y+1}{2}[/MATH]
Can you now complete the table?

One way to see the (most likely) pattern is to look at y-x for each row. Then you can see what has to be added to x to get y.

Another way is to observe that the change in y from one row to another is twice the change in x; so you can make a new column showing 2x and compare it to y.

This ‘change in y from one row to another is twice the change in x’ refers to the slope of the line.
In this case slope = rise/run = (11- 5)/(6 - 3)) = 2
This number is always the number in front of x in your rule.
So your rule should start with y = 2x then think of what adjustment has to be made so that (3,5) and (6,11) satisfy your rule. Subtracting 1 from the value of 2x will achieve this. i.e 2(3) - 1 = 5 and 2(6) - 1 = 11
So rule becomes y = 2x - 1

I truly hate these problems. There is no ONE correct answer; there are instead an infinite number of correct answers. In this problem, we can get a single answer if the relationship between x and y is stipulated to be strictly linear. I agree with Dr. Peterson that a strictly linear relationship was likely intended by this problem's author, but the student's natural inference is that relationships are likely to be strictly linear, which simply is false.

My objection would not be valid if the problem was stated as: Using the information in the following table, determine whether a linear relationship between x and y is possible and what the missing values will be if that relationship is correct. (Perhaps the "box method" clearly implies this sensible formulation. A very quick Google search did not enlighten me.) Notice that the problem as given does provide the information needed to find whether a linear relation is even possible. Confirmation of that possibility in scientific practice would typically require considerably more than one data point.

Now jumping to hoosie's point. There is an algorithm for finding the equation of a line joining two points. It is not that hard. So teach it. Whatever the box method is, I doubt that anyone intends for it to be the algorithm that is ultimately to be learned by students.

[MATH]\dfrac{y - 11}{x - 6} = \dfrac{11 - 5}{6 - 3} \implies \dfrac{y - 11}{x - 6} = \dfrac{6}{3} \implies [/MATH]
[MATH]3(y - 11) = 6(x - 6) \implies 3y - 33 = 6x - 36 \implies 3y = 6x - 36 + 33 \implies 3y = 6x - 3 \implies y = 2x - 1.[/MATH]
We check the work. 2 * 6 - 1 = 12 - 1 = 11. Checks. 2 * 3 - 1 = 5. Also checks.

Now we try confirming the hypothesis that the relationship may be linear.

[MATH]2 * 11 - 1 = 22 - 1 = 21.[/MATH]
Yes, the relationship may be linear. If that is true, what are the missing numbers in the table?

So much could be taught using tables and hypotheses, but isn't.

What do I do if I only know two numbers on my table?
Typically, two numbers are not enough to even guess what the pattern is, unless you are also told something about that pattern. Please state the entire problem as given to you, including instructions. (See here -- this is our standard expectation when you ask a question.)

If you were told that the pattern is linear, then I PREVIOUSLY told you to how to find the equation.