What is wrong with my reasoning?

senseimichael

I came across this question recently (it is always fun being a Singapore Mathematics teacher).
1658411865935.png
I understand perfectly its solution.
1658411898686.png
I tried using another solution I am very fond of, when faced with similar questions.

adult : children=2:1
each adult ticket is $3.50 more than children, so each SET of 2 adult and 1 children ticket is $7 difference.
in order to find out how many SETS of 2 adult and 1 children, I divide the total difference ($635.50) by the difference for 1 SET ($7) - and everything went downhill from there.

I am very sure there is an error with a mathematical assumption I have made with my alternative solution, just that I simply cannot wrap my head around it!

I came across this question recently (it is always fun being a Singapore Mathematics teacher).
View attachment 33456
I understand perfectly its solution.
View attachment 33457
I tried using another solution I am very fond of, when faced with similar questions.

adult : children=2:1
each adult ticket is $3.50 more than children, so each SET of 2 adult and 1 children ticket is $7 difference.
in order to find out how many SETS of 2 adult and 1 children, I divide the total difference ($635.50) by the difference for 1 SET ($7) - and everything went downhill from there.

I am very sure there is an error with a mathematical assumption I have made with my alternative solution, just that I simply cannot wrap my head around it!

I have to admit it took me some time, but: $7 is the difference between the costs of 2 adult tickets and 2 (not 1!) child tickets.