What % of the time am I migraine-free? PLEASE HELP! TY

PoodleMama99

I started getting migraine headaches 58 days ago. Normally I could do this math myself, but the nearly-constant pain makes it difficult to think. A migraine-tracking app shows that my migraines last an average of 11 hours. In 58 days, I've had 68 attacks (that's correct - some days I have 2 separate migraines.) My question is what percentage of the time am I NOT having a migraine? (I'm 55 and used to be excellent at basic math.) THANKS!

I started getting migraine headaches 58 days ago …
That conclusion came from a doctor, yes? If you've self-diagnosed, instead, then you need to be seen by a doctor right away. Severe headaches may not be migraines; they could be a symptom of something much worse.

… what percentage of the time am I NOT having a migraine? …
Based on the average time of 11 hours per episode, you first divide the total number of headache hours by the total hours in 58 days (then multiply by 100). That gives the percent of time you have a headache. Subtract that from 100%, to get the headache-free percent.

(68×11)/(58×24) × 100 = 53.7% (rounded)

100% - 53.7% = 46.3%

I hope you find a good resolution.

?

EDIT: I fixed my goof. Thank you, Subhotosh.

I started getting migraine headaches 58 days ago. Normally I could do this math myself, but the nearly-constant pain makes it difficult to think. A migraine-tracking app shows that my migraines last an average of 11 hours. In 58 days, I've had 68 attacks (that's correct - some days I have 2 separate migraines.) My question is what percentage of the time am I NOT having a migraine? (I'm 55 and used to be excellent at basic math.) THANKS!
Otis gave you % time you are inflicted with head-ache.

% time you are Migraine free would be (100 - 53.7 =) 46.3%

I know exactly how you feel. These are sometimes called "cluster migraines" and I used to get them. I have no idea why they went away but I'm grateful. I don't know how I got my MS. (That's "master's degree in science." I just wanted to be clear about that so Otis can understand and not have to sit in the corner again.)

-Dan

That conclusion came from a doctor, yes? If you've self-diagnosed, instead, then you need to be seen by a doctor right away. Severe headaches may not be migraines; they could be a symptom of something much worse.

Based on the average time of 11 hours per episode, you first divide the total number of headache hours by the total hours in 58 days (then multiply by 100). That gives the percent of time you have a headache. Subtract that from 100%, to get the headache-free percent.

(68×11)/(58×24) × 100 = 53.7% (rounded)

100% - 53.7% = 46.3%

I hope you find a good resolution.

?

EDIT: I fixed my goof. Thank you, Subhotosh.
Thanks so much! I have been diagnosed by a neeurologist, but it's good that you mentioned seeing a doctor right away. If I weren't having one now, I would have been able to figure it out. I just determined via the migraine app that they lasted 7.75 hours/day the 1st month and 15.93 hours/day this past month. Thanks for the well wishes!

Thanks so much! …
You're welcome. Here's a suggestion that worked for me, but you would need your doctor's permission (and a prescription): home oxygen.

When I first started working as an EMT, one of my trainers referred to oxygen as "the wonder drug" because patients regularly told him that it helped to reduce their anxiety, nausea or pain. (It doesn't work for everyone.) Like Dan, I also suffered from horrible headaches (mine stopped completely in my mid 30s, and I too am very grateful). Over-the-counter products for pain had absolutely no effect. Once I had access to medical grade oxygen, I tried it (using a non-rebreather mask) while lying down in a darkened, quiet room. For me, the oxygen helped reduce both intensity and duration.

I understand that some businesses will sell oxygen and supplies without a prescription, but that's a federal crime. Do not accept such offers because you can't be confident what's actually in the tank. Ask for your doctor's opinion.

Another thought is to think about triggers. Sometimes, my headaches came out of the blue. Other times, they were preceeded by extended exposure to airborne pollutants (eg: gasses from residential house fires, photographic chemicals, gasoline fumes, engine exhaust, perfumed products, severe dusts). To this day, I'll switch my car's airflow to 'recycled' whenever I'm behind a stinky or smoking vehicle, I'll get off the bus if someone has used half a bottle of perfume, and I always avoid walking down the detergent aisle in the supermarket (or hold my breath).

\(\;\)

Great info! Haven't read about oxygen helping some ppl. Would be nice to have a drug-free option. Due to my high BP and depression, the triptans, Topamax, etc. are contraindicated. Neurologist made it sound like my only options are Emgality, etc. or Botox. Said I have to get at least 15 attacks for 3 months before insurance would consider covering them. My insurance takes a month to decide and always denies the 1st request and it takes the maximum number of appeals to get an approval and sometimes they still say it's not medically necessary. Then they send a letter saying they are in no way dictating my care.