What type of trinagle?

JojoBear94

Help.

Determine which types of triangle the sides would make. Be sure to check if the sides will make a triangle.

Ex: 3 4 5

Determine which types of triangle the sides would make. Be sure to check if the sides will make a triangle.

Ex: 3 4 5

Try plugging the numbers into the Pythagorean equation.

I tried google once, but it took to long. I figured I'd get help faster here. Thankfully this is working alot quicker

JojoBear94 said:
I tried google once, but it took to long. I figured I'd get help faster here. Thankfully this is working alot quicker

Google "took too long?" I'm sorry...that makes no sense to me. Google gives results very quickly on any search you submit, but then it is UP TO YOU to read those search results.

And before you resort to Google, I'd strongly suggest that you review what your textbook has to say about types of triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem, and what conditions three lengths must satisfy to be able to form a triangle. Having taught geometry for MANY years, I'm quite positive that all the information you need is in your book.

I know...I know...that takes too long, too.

I didn't mean it like that. What I was trying to say is that I couldn't find alot from searching google. It took a long time because I'm a dial up user, and clicking on every page isn't a quick thing.

I just switched from a 3a school to a 5a school. This school is 4-5 whole chapters ahead of us. And no, my book didn't have the info. It only had examples, thanks. But I didn't understand it.

But thanks anyways....I guess...

Well you can eliminate several options (or types of triangles) by the sides given.

Which best describes the lengths given??

They are all the same length - Equilateral

They have 2 sides the same - Isosceles

They are all different lengths - Scalene

But is it a special triangle with different lengths?? - Right triangle (can be scalene or could be Isosceles)

It is scalene, but lets check to see if it is a right triangle.

The rule for a right triangle is that when you square the sides, adding the 2 shorter sides equals the longer side.
Written like this A^2 + B^2 = C^2 [ where A & B are the shorter sides]

plug in the lengths you were given to see if it is a right triangle which is also scalene.