What were the chances of that happening in your mind?

kiwi

15 killed in Humboldt Broncos bus crash​

EDIT: it won't let me post videos.

That link is it; it's a short video anyways what were the chances of that happening?

We know it happened in Canada, but we don't know what were the chances of that happening?

15 killed in Humboldt Broncos bus crash​

EDIT: it won't let me post videos.

That link is it; it's a short video anyways what were the chances of that happening?

We know it happened in Canada, but we don't know what were the chances of that happening?

What are we supposed to answer here? There's nothing to calculate from! And certainly any "chances" it might happen in my mind are completely irrelevant to the problem.

-Dan

This is a Probability forum. Pretty much what I'm asking is what is the probability of that happening?

15 killed in Humboldt Broncos bus crash

If there's any probability that could be calculated for a news event, it would depend not on theoretical probability, but on statistics. You'd need to gather data on similar events, and combine them in some way. You'd also need to define what "that" means -- how many details are required to say that "that" happened? (Any specific event happening at a specific time in exactly the way it happened has probability zero -- but it happened.)

You are presumably asking about this:

If we wanted to answer your question (which I imagine none of us do), you would, again, have to define the event clearly, and provide all relevant data. I see nothing here that raises probability questions in my own mind.

This is a Probability forum. Pretty much what I'm asking is what is the probability of that happening?
Since you did not provide us with any assistance to gauge your understanding of probability, we have start with the basic question:

Please provide a definition of probability according to your textbook/class notes.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem