Which of the following best describes the faces for the following figure?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, I will need something from you to start trying to figure this one out.
just a tip like you always do. Nothing is crossing my mind right now.
  1. 2 equilateral triangles, 1 square, 2 rectangles
  2. 2 equilateral triangles, 2 squares, 1 rectangle
  3. 2 isosceles triangles, 1 square, 2 rectangles
  4. 2 isosceles triangles, 2 squares, 1 rectangle
1644602960004.png

I am inclined to go for
2 isosceles triangles, 2 squares, 1 rectangle.
I am failing to see the two isosceles triangles though.
but I got t his information hot off the press right now
An isosceles triangle is a special case of a triangle where 2 sides, a and c, are equal and 2 angles, A and C, are equal.

here sides A and B are equal
and there are two angles that have the same degree so they are equal too
Final decision D)

Last edited:
View attachment 31061
If your difficulty is not knowing what equilateral and isosceles mean, look them up.

If it's visualizing the hidden sides of the figure (which we really know nothing about!), make a guess, assuming it looks the same from the other side. Or maybe try sketching in the hidden edges.

If it's identifying where, if at all, there might be squares, ignore that to begin with, and just describe what you do know.

Then we'll have a better idea what hints you need.

I am inclined to go for
2 isosceles triangles, 2 squares, 1 rectangle.
I am failing to see the two isoscele triangles though.
What can you say about the two triangles? Why are you unsure?

View attachment 31061
Bad problem. Out of 5 faces we see only 2. It does not tell us anything that would let us make informed assumptions about the invisible faces.
If we can assume that C is the hypotenuse of a triangle congruent to the visible triangle, can you visualize what the 3d shape looks like?

we cross-posted.
I have already written this opinion.
An isosceles triangle is a special case of a triangle where 2 sides, a and c, are equal and 2 angles, A and C, are equal.

Final decision D)

Is it wrong?

Bad problem. Out of 5 faces we see only 2. It does not tell us anything that would let us make informed assumptions about the invisible faces.
If we can assume that C is the hypotenuse of a triangle congruent to the visible triangle, can you visualize what the 3d shape looks like?
looking closely now I see a square in the back of the figure
the front is a rectangle
and I see the two isosceles triangles. One is visible the other hidden
I go for number D based on this. even if it is assuming it based on what i have been given in the pic

and the following is a true statement in the pic shown
''An isosceles triangle is a special case of a triangle where 2 sides, a and c, are equal and 2 angles, A and C, are equal''.

looking closely now I see a square in the back of the figure
the front is a rectangle
and I see the two isosceles triangles. One is visible the other hidden
I go for number D based on this. even if it is assuming it based on what i have been given in the pic
You should probably justify the conclusion about the square. I would start with the (likely) square on the bottom and then conclude, based on the provided info that there is (likely) a square in the back.

we cross-posted.
I have already written this opinion.

Actually I think that this is a well written question. The two angles of [imath]45^o[/imath] tells that there two isosceles tringles.
Therefore [imath]|A|=|B| (\text{lengths})[/imath] That gives us two squares, one on the bottom and one on the back.
Then a rectangle on the slant. THUS #4 is correct.

Actually I think that this is a well written question. The two angles of [imath]45^o[/imath] tells that there two isosceles tringles.
Therefore [imath]|A|=|B| (\text{lengths})[/imath] That gives us two squares, one on the bottom and one on the back.
Great, pka, thanks!.

I guess we can infer that the other possibility in the diagram is not possible because none of the choices involves trapezoids. But I think the problem statement should've made it clear.

20220211_135754.jpg

You should probably justify the conclusion about the square. I would start with the (likely) square on the bottom and then conclude, based on the provided info that there is (likely) a square in the back.
the likely square on the bottom. I saw that one right now. Yes, it should have been my first clue of a square. thanks for pointing it out

the likely square on the bottom. I saw that one right now. Yes, it should have been my first clue of a square. thanks for pointing it out
My point is that you are given the sides A and A - this means the supposed rectangle on the bottom is a square.
Then you need to reason your way to a similar conclusion about the other square.

My point is that you are given the sides A and A - this means the supposed rectangle on the bottom is a square.
Then you need to reason your way to a similar conclusion about the other square.
Thanks.

If your difficulty is not knowing what equilateral and isosceles mean, look them up.

If it's visualizing the hidden sides of the figure (which we really know nothing about!), make a guess, assuming it looks the same from the other side. Or maybe try sketching in the hidden edges.

If it's identifying where, if at all, there might be squares, ignore that to begin with, and just describe what you do know.

Then we'll have a better idea what hints you need.

What can you say about the two triangles? Why are you unsure?
I can say that the triangles are isosceles triangles and the two angles opposite the equal sides of these triangles here are congruent with each other and this also means that it has two congruent base angles.
As it is a triangle the sum of all angles = 180 degrees
this one on the pic has two angles =45 degrees and the right angle that measures 90 =180 degrees.
And it cal also be said that what is always true about the angles of an
isosceles triangles that all three angles are congruent. is also true on the shape given,at least two of the angles are congruent. the vertex angle is a right angle.