why-1

sujoy

hi.....i
we have an inequation like this: [3x^2-x-9]/[x^2-2x-3]>1 what would be the answer.....if we are asked to find the range of this?
I am also asking for the solution set!

WORK DONE :

[3x^2-x-9]/[x^2-2x-3]>1 =>3x^2-x-9 > x^2-2x-3 => 2x^2+x-7 > 0....etc.,
Would you please indicate where I am getting wrong & * WHY!*

ineqs18zr.gif

sir,
I must say you are an excellent teacher
thanks a lot
regards
Sujoy

I have a little doubt: If we have say two quantities C & K & ifC>K
then we may do C/K>1,=> C-K>0 and the matter finishes:however here we do as C/K-1>0 =>[C-K]/K >0 # I want to know why you do not multiply this K in the denominator with 0 apropos the explanation you gave above
regards
Sujoy

sujoy said:
If we have say two quantities C & K & ifC>K
then we may do C/K>1
No. You cannot multiply through an inequality by a quantity whose sign you do not know. Else:

. . . . .5 > -1. . . . . . . .(a valid statement)
. . . . .5/-1 > -1/-1. .. .(according to your method)
. . . . .-5 > 1. . . . . . . .(an invalid conclusion)

Eliz.

It is really a wonder,how beautifully you have explained the facts
thanks a lot,
Sir people say that solving questions,on linear programming, one gets these concepts& I am now preparing for an exam very close to GMAT
(same syllabus -----though more tough)........ would you suggest me to go for this chapter :?

with regards
sujoy

sujoy said:
would you suggest me to go for this chapter
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I think you're asking for advice on how to study something. However, since we cannot see the book you're looking at, there is no way for us to recommend how to study whatever might be contained in the chapter in question.

Eliz.

Hi, pka, totally off topic, but how do you do that with the graphical representation. I would love to get rid of all my "^"s and "sqrt"s and "/", etc. Do I need special software? Thanks.