Winners

Assume a large collection of players in some kind of sport, e.g. professional backgammon.

The probability of win is determined by combination of luck and skill.

Assume player A which has an average win rate within this collection of players of 90%.
Assume player B which has an average win rate of 80%.

How does one calculate the average win rate of A in a long sequence of games between A and B?

I don't think this can be done.

Let's say there are 10 players numbered 1-10.

Suppose player 1 wins 100% of the games.
Suppose player 2 only loses to play 1
Player 3 only loses to player 1 and player 2
Player 9 only beats player 10
and player 10 always loses.

Assume no ties and that everyone plays everyone else the same number of times.

Then player 2 wins 90% of the games and player 3 wins 80% of the games.

In this situation p(player 2 beats player 3) = 1 while p(player 3 beats player 2)=0.

The problem is that it does not have to be the way as described above!

Thanks Jomo, this is an interesting way to look at the problem.
The way you specified the situation, there is no random behavior in the system.
The conditions I discuss come from the real world of online games, specifically from www.itsyourturn.com.

In a specific kind of backgammon game I have an average win rate of 66% there, after a large number of games played.
Another player comes around let's say with 90% win rate.

The tendency to win is random with the above averages.
So, his chance against me seems to be 90 / (90 + 66) = 90 / 156 = 57.6%, while mine is 42.4%.
Just want to know if my formula makes sense.

If player A has a win rate of 90% and player B has a win rate of 60% and a player of average skill playing against another player of average skill has a chance of winning of 50%, I'd think it is more likely that player A will win with probability of
(90 - 50)/{(90 - 50) + (60 - 50)} = 40/(40 + 10) = 80% than with probability
90/(90 + 60) = 90/150 = 60%.

That better reflects the differential in skill. But even this is probably a relatively crude estimate. A player with a win rate of 90% may not even play against players with a win rate of 10%.

There are so many variables that I doubt it is possible to do better than a relatively crude estimate, but I think measuring skill is best done by subtracting 50% from the win percentage rather simply looking at the win percentage itself.

I used to play bridge online, particularly as partner with my coach who had played a number of times for Britain. We attracted strong opponents who were friends of my coach. My win rate quickly fell below 50%. Your win rate does not reflect just your skill; it also reflects the skill of the opponents that you choose to play against.