Word problem for absolute value inequalities? |(h-50)/5| ≥ 1.645

justinoballantino

Greetings!!

So I have an assignment for my Elementary Algebra class that I don't full understand. The assignment reads as follows:

One application of an absolute value inequality is the concept of the unfair coin. If a coin is tossed 100 times, we would expect approximately 50 of the tosses to be heads. A coin is considered an unfair coin if h, the number of outcomes that result in heads, satisfies the inequality: |(h-50)/5| ≥ 1.645
What values of h will tell us we have an unfair coin, if the coin is tossed 100 times?

SO! i'm not sure what the teacher is asking exactly, I know how to answer the equation above, but I'm not sure if i am supposed to plug in "100" anywhere since the question is in regard to the coin being tossed 100 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I've already sent two messages to the instructor but have not gotten a response yet.

Greetings!!

So I have an assignment for my Elementary Algebra class that I don't full understand. The assignment reads as follows:

One application of an absolute value inequality is the concept of the unfair coin. If a coin is tossed 100 times, we would expect approximately 50 of the tosses to be heads. A coin is considered an unfair coin if h, the number of outcomes that result in heads, satisfies the inequality: |(h-50)/5| ≥ 1.645
What values of h will tell us we have an unfair coin, if the coin is tossed 100 times?

SO! i'm not sure what the teacher is asking exactly, I know how to answer the equation above, but I'm not sure if i am supposed to plug in "100" anywhere since the question is in regard to the coin being tossed 100 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I've already sent two messages to the instructor but have not gotten a response yet.
My reading of the problem would be that the '100 times' is already in the equation, the 50 being the expected number of heads (half of 100). So I would just solve the inequality for h to obtain the two intervals which would indicate an unfair coin.