Word problem please help

heather.priggins

Part A
Paul has 1 1/2 feet of string.
How many 1/5 inch pieces can he cut from it?

Part B
Solve the problem using a reciprocal and multiplication. Show your work.

Part A

Part B
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

I have no idea how to start this problem. I don't know how to figure this out. I tried multiplying and I just can't figure it out.

I have no idea how to start this problem. I don't know how to figure this out. I tried multiplying and I just can't figure it out.
Please show your actual work, rather than just describe it. What did you multiply? What did you get?

Part A

Part B
Did you consider a reciprocal?

But rather than tell you what to use, as they have done, I would suggest a way to decide what to do: Try a simpler problem.

What would you do if Paul had 6 feet of string and wanted 2-inch pieces? Your first concern should be the two different units involved.

Could you do this similar question?
Paul has 6 feet of string.
How many 2 inch pieces can he cut from it?

Imagine you have 6 feet of string. Can you visualise that length?
Now how many pieces 2 inches long could you cut from that?
Do you still think 3 is the answer?

18 inches? Sorry I'm so horrible at this.
Hi heather. Yes, 1½ feet is 18 inches.

3 pieces would be correct, if you started with a 6-inch string. (In his example, Dr. Peterson wrote "6 feet".)

Regardless, what did you do to get 3? Did you divide 6 by 2? If so, then you're on the right track! Dividing a long length by a shorter length tells us how many short lengths make up the long length. (Both lengths' units must be the same, before dividing.)

:)

Hi heather. Yes, 1½ feet is 18 inches.

3 pieces would be correct, if you started with a 6-inch string. (In his example, Dr. Peterson wrote "6 feet".)

Regardless, what did you do to get 3? Did you divide 6 by 2? If so, then you're on the right track! Dividing a long length by a shorter length tells us how many short lengths make up the long length.

:)
... as long as the units are the same :)