Word problem

troublemaker676

Can't figure out this word problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

A jet took three hours to fly 1800 miles in the direction of the jetstream. The return trip, against the jestream, took four hours. What was the jet's speed, and the jetstream's speed?

now i defined my variables

x=jet's speed

y=jetstream's speed

Now i have to set up two equations and solve for the variables. Can someone walk me through the process of how to get the equations, once i have that i can do the rest. Thanks.

Speed WITH the Jetstream x + y
Speed AGAINST the Jetstream x - y

Now what? I hope x > y.

x+y=?

x-y=?

But what is on the other side of the equal sign? My teacher also said i will nedd the equation Distance=RatexTime.

You can't just throw around equal signs.

Those are the rates. You tell me the distances and times. Give the problem statement a good read or twelve.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "You can't just throw around equal signs", but i was just requesting that someone show me how to get the equations from the problem, thats all, but nevermind i figured it out.

Throwing around equal signs: "x+y=?" You need a plan before you write something like this.

Care to share your results?

Forget your defined varibles.
Just follow linear equation to solve. Below is the format to follow.
3(x+y)=1800
4(x-y)=1800
Just add or subsitute to solve. :)

Re: reply

jholodue1 said:
Forget your defined varibles.
Ignore that. ALWAYS define your variables carefully and never forget about them. :cry:

Why in **** don't you keep it simple, Troubler?

SPEED = DISTANCE divided by TIME : tatoo that on you wrist

You set up the speeds as x+y with wind and x-y against wind; good work.

SO, using the formula on your wrist:
x+y = 3600/3 : 3x + 3y = 3600 : x + y = 1200 [1]
x-y = 3600/4 : 4x - 4y = 3600 : x - y = 900 [2]

Now it's a breeze: add [1] + [2]

That is the exact way i did it, thank you for everybody who helped, and i agree that you should always define your variables.