Wordles III

There is much in the Queen's English that you can blame the Americans for, but I don't think the exceptions to the "i before e" rule is one of them!
???
Some rules are definitely made to be broken but my gripe was specifically dropping the 'u' out of so many words that need it (and occasionally adding it in where it definitely doesn't belong, eg: 'nucular'!!!!) ?

Some rules are definitely made to be broken but my gripe was specifically dropping the 'u' out of so many words that need it (and occasionally adding it in where it definitely doesn't belong, eg: 'nucular'!!!!) ?
Nope it is spelled - nukeeler - ask GWBush or any hillybilly for that matter.

And "i" for that matter. Aluminium is a case in point.

Interesting! I didn't know people spell it like that outside of North America. Do you say it with 5 syllables?
A-lu-mi-ni-um?
Yes that's right!
Yes, except that what you suggest would still be an American pronunciation! ?
We say: Al-you-min-ee-um. ?
(Go here and click on the "Speaker" button.) ?

Yes, except that what you suggest would still be an American pronunciation! ?
We say: Al-you-min-ee-um. ?
(Go here and click on the "Speaker" button.) ?
I am a metallurgist. Imagine my problems when I came to USA from India. First, all these Khanfusion about gallon/litre - then nobody understood "Al-you-min-ee-um". I felt I should jump out of the "footpath" right in front of a "laurie".