Working out individual value from a collective value

maddock34

I'm diabetic and use carbohydrates to judge how much insulin I need to take. This is relatively easy but it's been a long time since I've needed to actually work something out. So here's what I want to know; let's say I have individually wrapped mints each weighing 6 grams and the nutritional information says "Typical values per 100 grams: . . . . Carbohydrates: 89g . . . .". How would I go about working out the carbohydrates in an individual mint? (Preferably showing/explaining method so I can commit it to memory) Thanks

I'm diabetic and use carbohydrates to judge how much insulin I need to take. This is relatively easy but it's been a long time since I've needed to actually work something out. So here's what I want to know; let's say I have individually wrapped mints each weighing 6 grams and the nutritional information says "Typical values per 100 grams: . . . . Carbohydrates: 89g . . . .". How would I go about working out the carbohydrates in an individual mint? (Preferably showing/explaining method so I can commit it to memory) Thanks
This is a "proportions" problem. You have information for 100 grams and want to reduce to 6 grams. Do that by multiplying by \(\displaystyle \frac{6}{100}= 0.06\)- 0.06*89g of Carbohydrates is 5.34g of Carbohydrates.