XYZ is a triangle with angles X, Y, Z and Y = 60 degrees prove it is an arithmetic progression

apple12

Hi I am slightly stuck on this proof. So before this proof I was asked to prove that if X>Y>Z and the angles form an arithmetic progression prove Y = 60 degrees. I was able to do this, but I am slightly unsure on how to make the reverse work. So this was a method I came up with but I am not sure whether this is right. Can someone please help me clarify this?
So I approached this as follows:
Assume that X < Y < Z and they do follow an arithmetic progression then:
X = a
Y = a + d
Z = a + 2d

the sum of the angles must be 180 degrees so:
a + a + d + a + 2d = 180
3a + 3d = 180
dividing by 3
a + d = 60
since a + d = 60 is Y and that this was stated in the question, it follows that they do follow an arithmetic progression given X < Y < Z

Hi I am slightly stuck on this proof. So before this proof I was asked to prove that if X>Y>Z and the angles form an arithmetic progression prove Y = 60 degrees. I was able to do this, but I am slightly unsure on how to make the reverse work. So this was a method I came up with but I am not sure whether this is right. Can someone please help me clarify this?
X = a
Y = a + d
Z = a + 2d

a + a + d + a + 2d = 180
3a + 3d = 180
dividing by 3
a + d = 60
since a + d = 60 is Y and that this was stated in the question, it follows that they do follow an arithmetic progression given X < Y < Z
Correct.

a + a + d + a + 2d = 180
3a + 3d = 180
dividing by 3
a + d = 60 = Y ← the middle term of a three term AP

X = a
Y = a + d
Z = a + 2d

a + a + d + a + 2d = 180
3a + 3d = 180
dividing by 3
a + d = 60
Do I understand correctly that the statement you are trying to prove is:

If X,Y and Z are the angles of a triangle, X < Y < Z and Y = 60 degrees than X,Y,Z form an arithmetic progression. ?

Do I understand correctly that the statement you are trying to prove is:

If X,Y and Z are the angles of a triangle, X < Y < Z and Y = 60 degrees than X,Y,Z form an arithmetic progression. ?
That was the first proof the second part was given Y = 60 degrees prove XYZ form an arithmetic progression
https://nrich.maths.org/10038 : the IFFY triangles section

Have you heard of the triangle inequality?
yes, I have heard of it but have never worked in applying it before
It's irrelevant to this problem, which is about angles, not sides. All you really need to know about triangles is what the sum of the angles is.

Please show whatever work you have done, if you need additional help.

There is a shortcut: In an arithmetic progression with an odd number of terms, the middle term is always the average of all the terms. Since we know the sum of the terms (180), we know the average is 180/3 = 60.