Year 9 Algebra Help.

ramieshoa

Hey guys,
I’m currently in year 9 and doing year 10 maths right now. I have no clue how to question 6 and 7 at all. I have attempted numerous times and no result. Please help me if you can, would mean the world. ?
FEC5A67D-096B-4232-B570-8A2875CE1B07.jpeg

Name things.

Let’s do a problem similar to #6.

Problem.

The area of a rectangle is [imath]y^2 + 4y - 21[/imath], and the width is [imath]y + 7[/imath].

What is the height of the rectangle?

Solution.

We know as a matter of general information that

[math]W = \text {rectangle’s width, } H = \text {rectangle’s height, and} A = \text = \text {rectangle’s area} \implies[/math]
[math]A = W * H \implies H = \dfrac{A}{W}.[/math]
So in this specific case [imath]H = \dfrac{y^2 + 4y - 21}{y + 7} = \dfrac{(y + 7)(y - 3)}{y + 7} = y - 3.[/imath]

What is confusing you here is that you are not getting a specific number for an answer. So what?

Hey guys,
I’m currently in year 9 and doing year 10 maths right now. I have no clue how to question 6 and 7 at all. I have attempted numerous times and no result. Please help me if you can, would mean the world. ?
View attachment 29713
For #6 I would note that area equals length x height so:
[imath]4x^2+12x=(2x)(2x+6)[/imath]. Therefore [imath]{\bf h}=2x+6[/imath].

For #7 [imath]\text{Area}~[/imath] [imath]= \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(14\cdot y\right)\left({\bf h}\right)=\\35y^2-21 y=(7\cdot y)(?)[/imath] [imath][/imath] [imath][/imath] [imath][/imath]