how long should it take him to paint a wall that measures 16 feet by 18 feet?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear tutors, professors and helpers:
I will need your guidance with t his problem.
if it takes a student 3 hours to paint a rectangular wall that measures 24 feet by 10 feet, working at the same speed, how long should it take him to paint a wall that measures 16 feet by 18 feet?

The first that came to my mind was to find the respective areas of the two walls.
A= l * w
Wall 1 = 240 ft^2
Wall 2 = 288 ft^2
Any hint for the next best move?.

Thanks in advance,
eddy

Thanks in advance for your support and hints.

if it takes a student 3 hours to paint a rectangular wall that measures 24 feet by 10 feet, working at the same speed, how long should it take him to paint a wall that measures 16 feet by 18 feet?

The first that came to my mind was to find the respective areas of the two walls.
A= l * w
Wall 1 = 240 ft^2
Wall 2 = 288 ft^2

Thanks in advance,
eddy

Areas might be useful. Do you think it would make sense to know WHY? You keep agreeing with me when I point out that your solutions should be better organized, but then you start with "The first that came to my mind". Shouldn't you start with analyzing what the problem is asking you?

Areas might be useful. Do you think it would make sense to know WHY? You keep agreeing with me when I point out that your solutions should be better organized, but then you start with "The first that came to my mind". Shouldn't you start with analyzing what the problem is asking you?
Yes, you're right. Working at the same speed how long will it take him to paint a wall with the dimensions listed. The second wall is even larger or has a larger area than the first.

Yes, you're right. Working at the same speed how long will it take him to paint a wall with the dimensions listed. The second wall is even larger or has a larger area than the first.
Ok, you need to find TIME. What does TIME of work depend on?

I would figure out how long it takes to paint 1 sqft. Then armed with that information I would find out how long it would take to paint 288 sqft.

A= l * w
Wall 1 = 240 ft^2
Wall 2 = 288 ft^2

Thanks in advance,
eddy

What would you do if the Wall 1 was 200 sqft and wall 2 was 400 sqft. Also use friendly numbers and what ever you need to do with the friendly numbers do the same with the less friendly numbers.

I would figure out how long it takes to paint 1 sqft. Then armed with that information I would find out how long it would take to paint 288 sqft.
Thanks for the good tip.
if 240 ft^2 ---3 hours
then,
1ft^2 ------3hrs/240
=1/80 hr per feet.
So,
288 ft^2------- 1/80hr * 288 ft^2
= 288ft^2 /80
simplyfying
36/10
=3.6 h

I am not sure about the units again. I don't see the ft^2 canceling out and I need hours in my answer.

If you want my help, why not answer my question?
I understand that others' hints may lead you to a solution faster. I am trying to show you how to organize your thought process. Are you interested?

Wall 1 = 240 ft^2
Wall 2 = 288 ft^2
Any hint for the next best move?

Let x = the number of hours to paint Wall 2.

You may use a proportion such as

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{x \ \ hours \ \ for \ \ Wall \ \ 2}{number \ \ of \ \ hours \ \ for \ \ Wall \ \ 1} \ = \ \dfrac{number \ \ of \ \ square \ \ feet \ \ of \ \ Wall \ \ 2}{number \ \ of \ \ square \ \ feet \ \ of \ \ Wall \ \ 1}\)

There are other proportions that will work. For instance, you could swap the expression
in the first denominator with the expression in the second numerator.

If you want my help, why not answer my question?
I understand that others' hints may lead you to a solution faster. I am trying to show you how to organize your thought process. Are you interested?
Yes, sir. I am. You have been teaching me since the very beginning.

Let x = the number of hours to paint Wall 2.

You may use a proportion such as

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{x \ \ hours \ \ for \ \ Wall \ \ 2}{number \ \ of \ \ hours \ \ for \ \ Wall \ \ 1} \ = \ \dfrac{number \ \ of \ \ square \ \ feet \ \ of \ \ Wall \ \ 2}{number \ \ of \ \ square \ \ feet \ \ of \ \ Wall \ \ 1}\)

There are other proportions that will work. For instance, you could swap the expression
in the first denominator with the expression in the second numerator.
Thanks a lot.

Yes, sir. I am. You have been teaching me since the very beginning.
Mr Jomo gave a tip that was easy. Just that. But I am always interested . You all have different ways to get to the same solution which is good for me to explore.

Mr Jomo gave a tip that was easy. Just that. But I am always interested . You all have different ways to get to the same solution which is good for me to explore.
Let me know when you are ready to continue.

Let me know when you are ready to continue.
I am. Whenever you want to continue, I am ready. Had to get away from my desktop for some time. I am back now. Thanks a lot for wanting to teach me