how long should it take him to paint a wall that measures 16 feet by 18 feet?

Let x = the number of hours to paint Wall 2.

You may use a proportion such as

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{x \ \ hours \ \ for \ \ Wall \ \ 2}{number \ \ of \ \ hours \ \ for \ \ Wall \ \ 1} \ = \ \dfrac{number \ \ of \ \ square \ \ feet \ \ of \ \ Wall \ \ 2}{number \ \ of \ \ square \ \ feet \ \ of \ \ Wall \ \ 1}\)

There are other proportions that will work. For instance, you could swap the expression
in the first denominator with the expression in the second numerator.
Thanks a lot. That was also very good.

I am. Whenever you want to continue, I am ready. Had to get away from my desktop for some time. I am back now. Thanks a lot for wanting to teach me
What does the quantity we are looking for depend on?

What does the quantity we are looking for depend on?
Mr lev, I already answered that. I said amount of work. you said what else. I said I do not know. You all asked me to go ahead and say I do not know. To avoid waste of time and confusion. I am following your instructions. I do not know what else. I feel too much guesswork is not taking me far.

Mr lev, I already answered that. I said amount of work. you said what else. I said I do not know. You all asked me to go ahead and say I do not know. To avoid waste of time and confusion. I am following your instructions. I do not know what else. I feel too much guesswork is not taking me far.
Could you read the problem again and look for any measure that may affect the time of work?

Distance is not mentioned. What word literally used in the problem that affects the time? You already mentioned the amount of work.
I said speed too. How about that. It is mentioned in the problem.

I said speed too. How about that. It is mentioned in the problem.
Did you edit your previous post to add speed? I'm pretty sure I saw only "Distance" when I replied. Anyway, yes, speed or rate is the other measure that affects the time of work. And now the main question - what is the relationship between time, amount of work and rate?

They all interconnect. Rate of speed in which a certain job is done in a certain amount of time.

Did you edit your previous post to add speed? I'm pretty sure I saw only "Distance" when I replied. Anyway, yes, speed or rate is the other measure that affects the time of work. And now the main question - what is the relationship between time, amount of work and rate?
maybe this formula can be applied : Portion of the job completed = rate * time

maybe this formula can be applied : Portion of the job completed = rate * time
P = r.t
For a job that can be completed in a certain amount of time t, the rate of work done per unit of time is 1/t

Thanks for the good tip.
if 240 ft^2 ---3 hours correct
then,
1ft^2 ------3hrs/240 correct
=1/80 hr per feet. incorrect--where did the per feet come from?
So,
288 ft^2------- 1/80hr * 288 ft^2 incorrect, what happened to the per feet that you mistakenly put in the last line??? If suddenly became ft^2
= 288ft^2 /80
simplyfying
36/10
=3.6 h how did you come to hours??

I am not sure about the units again. I don't see the ft^2 canceling out and I need hours in my answer.
See the red above.
Units are supposed to be your friends. They show you if you are incorrect. If you expect hrs and you end up with ft/hr, then you know you are wrong. You just need to be careful with your units. They seem to beat you down when they should be helping you. Please try again and keep the units straight.

P = r.t
For a job that can be completed in a certain amount of time t, the rate of work done per unit of time is 1/t
This is very similar to distance, rate, time relationship: rate=distance/time
Rate=work/time
This is a general formula, applicable to many work problems. You just need to use appropriate measurements/units that make sense for your problem.
So, what do we have?
Rate is sq feet per hour. Work is sq feet. Time is hours.
Based on the formula, time=?

This is very similar to distance, rate, time relationship: rate=distance/time
Rate=work/time
This is a general formula, applicable to many work problems. You just need to use appropriate measurements/units that make sense for your problem.
So, what do we have?
Rate is sq feet per hour. Work is sq feet. Time is hours.
Based on the formula, time=?
t=rate of work * amount of work.

t=rate of work * amount of work.
Let's see if your formula above is correct.
What are the units for rate of work?
What are the units for amount of work?
What do you get when you multiply these two units?

Let's see if your formula above is correct.
What are the units for rate of work?
What are the units for amount of work?
What do you get when you multiply these two units?
units for r of work = hours
units for amount of work feet^2
I get f^2 * hours.