T/F in math, distributive property and more plz help!!!

lillybeth

Plz help!! I got these T/F questions in math:
(True or False- if the statement is false, correct it)

___ 1. The distributive property is used to state that 2(t-1) = 2t -2.
___ 2. The commutative property is used to state that 2(6t)+3=12t+3.
T?_ 3. When solving inequalities where both sides are multiplied or divided be a negative integer, the inequality symbol stays the same.
_F_4. When solving inequalities, the addition and subtraction of integers will not effect the inequality sign. (p.s. duh, false)
___ 5. The distributive property is used to state that 3t+2t=5t.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What I'm having trouble with is.. I completely forgot what distributive and commutative property are so, can some one re-enlighten me? Thanks bunches!!! :)

The distributive property says that a(b+ c)= ab+ ac.

The commutative property of addition says that a+ b= b+ a and that of multiplicaton says that ab= ba.

The associative property of addition says that a+ (b+ c)= (a+ b)+ c and that of multiplication says that a(bc)= (ab)c.

You really should be able to look things like his up yourself (like in the index of your textbook).

Numbers 3 and 4, where you have given answers, including 4 where you say "duh", are both wrong.

The distributive property says that a(b+ c)= ab+ ac.

The commutative property of addition says that a+ b= b+ a and that of multiplicaton says that ab= ba.

The associative property of addition says that a+ (b+ c)= (a+ b)+ c and that of multiplication says that a(bc)= (ab)c.

You really should be able to look things like his up yourself (like in the index of your textbook).

Numbers 3 and 4, where you have given answers, including 4 where you say "duh", are both wrong.

Thanks HallsofIvy!! But just to clarify, 4 is correct:

4 is false because if u subtract 5 from 3, you get negative two! (changing the inequality sign)

Can someone piont out how three is false? or how four is true?

T?_ 3. When solving inequalities where both sides are multiplied or divided be a negative integer, the inequality symbol stays the same.
_F_4. When solving inequalities, the addition and subtraction of integers will not effect the inequality sign. (p.s. duh, false)

#3) is false
3>2
3*(-1)>2*(-1)???
-3>-2 NO!

#4) is true
3>2
(3-5)>(2-5)
-2>-3 OK

Pay close attention to HallsofIvy, he is rarely wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks HallsofIvy!! But just to clarify, 4 is correct:

4 is false because if u subtract 5 from 3, you get negative two! (changing the inequality sign)

Can someone piont out how three is false? or how four is true?
The inequality sign changes if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number. Just "getting" a negative does not change it. You have three and four backwards.

:)

Thanks to all for helping me!!! I get the problem (see Denis, I spelled that out instead of saying "prob" just for you!) now! :) Thanks for the help!!