distance, rate and time algebra prob: Hazel and Emily fly from Atlanta to San Diego.

sean1

this is driving me bananas.

i can do the distance=rate x time problems well enough but setting this one up has utterly baffled me.
icon_eek.gif
icon_confused.gif

Hazel and Emily fly from atlanta to San diego. the flight to sandiego is against the wind and takes 4 hours. the return flight with the wind takes 3.5 hours. if the speed of the wind is 40 mph find the speed of the plane in still air.

i know the table you do where you set it up but im just utterly baffled as how to set this one up to find the speed of the plane in still air. something to do with resistence...uuhhh...help?

this is driving me bananas.

i can do the distance=rate x time problems well enough but setting this one up has utterly baffled me.
icon_eek.gif
icon_confused.gif

Hazel and Emily fly from atlanta to San diego. the flight to sandiego is against the wind and takes 4 hours. the return flight with the wind takes 3.5 hours. if the speed of the wind is 40 mph find the speed of the plane in still air.

i know the table you do where you set it up but im just utterly baffled as how to set this one up to find the speed of the plane in still air. something to do with resistence...uuhhh...help?
Let x mph be the speed in still air. Then flight against the wind is at (x-40)mph and with the wind is (x+40)mph.